Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post by ino » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Guys I hardly ever post stuff like this but it bothered me very much.
This message is for
if you know him make sure he knows who this message is coming from.

Some middle aged guy on a green and black ish shortie and half grey gym gloves, On a white and yellow cabrinha.

Remember me next time I won't be as nice. That is a promise.

Today at the upper launch
You launched middle aged heavier set begginer a guy on a blue and white Naish Park 14m park, wrong direction first of all. You threw his kite straight in to the air directly in to the power window when the poor guy was not even ready . The guy luckly pulled his leash and his kite ended up at the rocks and you walked away. When I told you that you cant do that you said you allways launch like that at the lower launch. Than you proceed to go to the guy on the 14m to explain what you think he did wrong. When I told you you re wrong and responsoble for what happened you haven t reacted and walked away. Than I saw you YET AGAIN launch a kiter a Older gentlemen the same way straight in to the wind window .luckly this man was experienced to save his kite and went out.

When you launched your 11m that poor guy packed up his kite and had to go back. To be inspired by your 2 feet half rotation backroll tryouts and amazing 3 feet air. With your adventure filled downwinder to the lower beach. This is bad ettiquette and I can assure you noone on the lower launch will appreciate that kind of behaviour also.

It was out of convenience that I rigged at upper today normally I go both spots to launch. And I saw you put 2 people in to danger. You owe specially the first guy on the 14 m blue and white park an appology next time tou see him.

I wanted to remind you after but you were nowhere to be found, friends @3 rd make sure if you know this guy at lower launch or if he is a member of this forum that he hears this. I 'm usually a patient guy but that was not kiter like behaviour today.
The safety of others and respect to others is greater than our egos.
other than that good winds to everyone, hopefully the hot days pass and we get good wind.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Hey 3 rd ave hot shot

Post by MehYam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 am

Very weird behavior. I mean, just weird - usually people have enough self-doubt and self-awareness that they don't act this badly, even if they are kooks. Hopefully this guy gets corrected. I'll be on the lookout for white and yellow, green and black.

For the most part, people at the upper are great, and everyone gets better at things over time - even with the influx of new people and crowded weekends. Gotta keep it positive and be helpful, and as a last resort posse up to influence people in the right direction, as necessary.

ino
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ino » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:53 am

Mehyam I must have said it wrong. I believe it was one of those mainly white black and yellow cabrinha 11 m , last years model,I m guessing it was a switchblade. i think more than his kite his behaviour will give him away.
He moves his kite all over the place and I saw him trying to jump 2 ft right by the little cove there where we launch for the most amount of praise.

I m usually the easiest going guy,I never correct anyone, I usually hug and kiss all buddies thats all I ever do. But this was a necessary and too light of a warning for him. Because he kept doing what he did. maybe more than him , whoever thought him to launch like that is more responsible .I dont know.what would you guys have done?

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 am

Yesterday I had a guy do this to me on the sandbar in Hood River without getting the thumbs up and as the bridle was caught up wrong with a twig. In this case I did NOT release or it may have jeopardized skimboarders in the basin but I was able to hold the kite out of the wind window (with one hand on the release) while I shouted for someone I know to run down to grab it for me (not recommended for the inexperienced, btw, just punch out). I've seen increasingly through the years that more and more people don't know how to launch, despite knowing how to kite or at least having taken lessons. The lower launch at 3rd sometimes requires a different technique so when you see locals 'throwing' a kite realize that they are experts who know and trust each other and what they are doing. If they're doing something different than you've been taught, go ask them about it - they are all cool people willing to share knowledge (they've taught me a lot).

Tips: NEVER launch a kite that is luffing (flapping) or pushing the launcher around (I call this 'bulldozing'). Kites should be able to be easily held by the launcher and the leading edge should be taut (but not bulldozing the launcher). A 'normal' kite launch is when the pilot simply flies the kite out of the launcher's hands (upon giving thumbs up).

Sorry if this sounds elementary, but I feel compelled to write it after reading ino's observations and my similar experience yesterday.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:09 am

ino wrote:I m usually the easiest going guy,I never correct anyone, I usually hug and kiss all buddies thats all I ever do. But this was a necessary and too light of a warning for him. Because he kept doing what he did.
Agreed. He'll get corrected if he keeps this up, hopefully before he hurts somebody.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:14 am

I rarely kite at 3rd or Alameda, but when I do.... I never let kooks launch me.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 am

39360169.jpg
39360169.jpg (89.71KiB)Viewed 5221 times

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:53 pm

shred...
if you are going to have someone launch you that you don't know/trust, probably should tell them not to release your kite until you give them the "thumbs up." Probably elementary, but....
steve

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Damm, I also kited the same day at 3rd. Luckily, I launched at the lower launch so didn't see this kook. But normally, everyone at the upper launch was pretty cool, sufficient and professional about launching someone else kites though.

Ways to launch someone else kite at 3rd: (correct me if I am wrong here)
-- at the lower launch where there 're a big wind shadow, bring kite to about 1/3 way between edge and hot launch zone, wait for the kiter to give you the thumb up, then throw the kite up. Note: this area is for intermediate/advance riders
-- at the upper launch, same usual way to launch a kite at the very edge of the wind windows where the kite is taut but not pushing the launcher and the fabric/wings are not flapping, wait for the thumb up to release the kite - DO NOT throw the kite though.

In conclusion, no matter where you launch, always wait for the kiter thumb up sign.

jzderm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jzderm » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Sounds like that was the "school of hard knocks" kiteboarding class in session. Probably a groupon special. ;-)