Waddell sensor

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Waddell sensor

Post by drroc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Is the waddell sensor pretty much useless when the wind has too much of a nothernly component? I was there last week and had a great session on my 7m. The windmeter however reported avg wind of less than 10 mph. Was this also the case this weekend?
Attachments
waddell.png
waddell.png (29.45KiB)Viewed 3113 times

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I noticed that too when someone said they left their 7m on the beach but wind sensor was saying "no way you were out on a 7m". The sensor is up on a house onshore and it sure looks to me like a lot of north would make for quite a bit of turbulence coming over the neighboring houses and the hills due north.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Waddell sensor

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Waddell sensor

Post by drroc » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Are there any other clues to figure out if it is worth going there besides purely relying the forecast? I believe the ocean buoy by SF didn't read much wind that day as well.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm

There is a surefire, 100% accurate way to tell if it's windy at Waddell. An amazing feat of technology that is rivaled only by the internet, computers, and cell phones.

If you ask anyone kited there on a day when the sensor is reading single-digits but it was blowing 25, they will all tell you that this amazing device is responsible for them getting a session. What is it, you ask? Perhaps you've heard of it:

:auto-iroc:

This is why locals get more sessions than anyone else, at every beach in the world. Because they just have to drive to the beach and look out the windshield. That is why this is called a "locals only session".

But unlike other kite spots where the sensor doesn't always work, Waddell has one other magic way of guaranteeing numerous locals-only days: No cell service. So even if you drive down and see it's windy and want to call a bro and tell him that it is windy, you can't. And that makes those locals only sessions even more magic.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Waddell sensor

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Bulldog wrote:There is a surefire, 100% accurate way to tell if it's windy at Waddell. An amazing feat of technology that is rivaled only by the internet, computers, and cell phones.

If you ask anyone kited there on a day when the sensor is reading single-digits but it was blowing 25, they will all tell you that this amazing device is responsible for them getting a session. What is it, you ask? Perhaps you've heard of it:

This is why locals get more sessions than anyone else, at every beach in the world. Because they just have to drive to the beach and look out the windshield. That is why this is called a "locals only session".

But unlike other kite spots where the sensor doesn't always work, Waddell has one other magic way of guaranteeing numerous locals-only days: No cell service. So even if you drive down and see it's windy and want to call a bro and tell him that it is windy, you can't. And that makes those locals only sessions even more magic.

yep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Bulldog wrote:There is a surefire, 100% accurate way to tell if it's windy at Waddell. An amazing feat of technology that is rivaled only by the internet, computers, and cell phones.

Well, that much is obvious :) I was more curious if non-locals had a way to check if it was worth the drive in exchange for the wife going shopping at a later date...

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Well it's kind of like asking a hot shot investor to give away their secrets. They're not going to. And not just because they don't want to share the success (although that is probably true as well) -- they don't want to be responsible for your losses. Because it usually ends up being a judgement call. And in the end, you have to have some skin in the game, which in kiting means getting skunked from time to time.

I'm fine with getting skunked, but I don't want to be the reason someone else got skunked.

That's why we pay Mike Godsey, and why we're allowed to get pissed when he gets the forecast wrong. %$
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:57 pm

What bulldog just said: you have to take some risk sometimes and at the end it's a judgment call.
I just come back from marina bay where I rode for over an hour lit on my 12.
2 other kiters out (on 10s), sensore at portrero reach is still reading 12kts... all morning.
As I was coming back in, another kiter was going out, so 4 kiters in the water on a windy 4th of july!
Drove along berkeley on my way back to the city: NOBODY out. Even though it looked even windier than marina bay.
TP: SAME THING, nobody out.
I do get quite a lot of sessions through the week, but I do get skunked every now and then. That's why I always have a book in my car. :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

zgur
Resident
Resident

Post by zgur » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Save gas and go to Dillon instead.....kidding, kind of....there are many days that you just need to go look and give it a shot...I've kited there solo, under clouds and had the best times....other days, when an "eddy" or marine push is forecast, and all the masses go to sherman, we get magic days when the clouds clear and steady wind blows with uncrowded surf....

Before moving to SC, I had a few data points I checked.....but was always ready for alternate activities like: work, biking, gym....I paid a lot of dues getting skunked, especially when I did not surf and needed wind to play in the ocean (can't f*n believe I let all those years pass by like a dumb ass waiting for wind)

But you are asking, from those that know, and paid the dues to learn, to give you the knowledge?? for reals? what are you exchanging?

Reading your message, it seems like you are offering your wife + shopping.....or did I read that wrong? ;-)

Show up, kite, learn, meet the locals and bring cold beers to share....

Get sum, Z