Waddell vs Dillon

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sloughslut
Resident
Resident
Re: Waddell vs Dillon

Post by sloughslut » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:42 am

Dillon gets way better than saturday was, i was other kiter "?%#
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 am

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Cliff, hopefully we will see you out at Dillon sometime. Totally stoked on the Mako Surf.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Lovin' those fingertips in the water on your carve! Nice Simon!

Kirk out

victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by victor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 am

i've never seen it that flat at dillon. never been there when there weren't several other kiters even during the week. plenty of room to self launch and land safely

beautiful spot, beautiful drive. WINDY. stop at the william tell tavern in tomales for after session adult beverages and eats.

debatable whether it's any sharkier than other coast sites.

stinson can be good but is very unreliable. wind sometimes likes to shift offshore in the pm. limited parking. traffic jams on the weekends.

never been to waddell to compare the waves. dillon's waves are all over the place. several breaks that change with the tide.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 am

victor wrote:never been to waddell to compare the waves. dillon's waves are all over the place. several breaks that change with the tide.
If you are a wave snob, Dillon does not even compare to Waddell. However for me Dillon is 30 minutes from my driveway so it is my go to spot. Waves can get clean and glassy if you hit it right.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:04 am

Agreed, but if you're a "wave snob" Waddell doesn't make the grade either... One or two turns before it closes out doesn't qualify for any quality wave awards.

Not to say Waddell isn't a fun place to kite, but there are places with much better, longer waves...

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 am

wjb wrote:Waves can get clean and glassy if you hit it right.
I've seen it line up just about perfect on the far side against the headlands. Its nice when the surf starts to get bigger out there but its a long swim home if anything goes wrong. The thing with Dillon is you don't really get sideshore wind ever. It's so much nicer, imo, kiting in true sideshore winds. That's why Waddell is so famous, the rollers roll in like clockwork and you can tear the shit of them cause of the wind direction. Its like Stinson on Steroids.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stompdit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 pm

The waves at Dillon are mellow, but, man, going down the line(onshore) is so much fun! Feels like you are actually surfing, and you don't need to move the kite. We're very fortunate to have options, I like both spots.

From Dillon last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2MeRnpUyI[/video]

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Awesome vid' stonpedit, i was there on saturday but the waves were small (i.e your video). You have some good moves my man! I had one of the best session there the last week of May with bigger swell and awesome conditions. Do you ride the 6m method 2?

Kirk...what other spots are you thinking about? +*!@