Sherman windsurfer instructor with pony tail

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sherman windsurfer instructor with pony tail

Post by sanjose_kiter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:27 am

Who is the Sherman windsurfer instructor with the pony tail ???
He has some beef with kitesurfers or something ???

Heard from a kitesurfer friend who drifted into the windsurf launch area due to low wind and flood tide that the windsurf instructor with a pony tail threatened to pull a knife on him . The exact words were "your guys are not supposed to be here, i have a knife and will use it" . The kiter was told me that he was at the edge of the little bay and had his kite at 12 , not even attempting to kite into the launch area.

Has this happened to anyone else before or this is just the pony tail guy really bad day ???

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Sherman windsurfer instructor with pony tail

Post by OliverG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 am

I think that's my neighbor from two houses up. I'm pretty sure he was just putting him on...

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 am

yeah , figure the pony tail guy was just having a bad day

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 am

That sounds like Jason Voss - he's also lives in my neighborhood. I've chatted with him a few times and he doesn't have an issue (that I could ascertain) with kiters. He's generally pretty mellow. I'd guess he was joking or there was a misunderstanding of some kind...

http://www.jrvwindsurfing.com

Kirk out

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:21 pm

I have been in there 100s of times with no issues, but i leave fast and say sorry guys on the way out. Shoulda told him i ll take that knife steven segal style and cut that ponytail off! (kidding) :P
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Hypothetical question: If I am kiting in that situation and I end up at the windsurfer launch beach due to unavoidable circumstance, how do I deal with my kite? Are options below acceptable?

1) Self-rescue while drifting to the windsurfer launch spot?
2) Land the kite in the windsurfer launch as fast as humanely possible and apologize to any windsurfers that get in the way because you are actually the one who is in everyone's way?
3) Body drag to Little Baja and land the kite there?

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:34 pm

sloughslut wrote:I have been in there 100s of times with no issues, but i leave fast and say sorry guys on the way out. Shoulda told him i ll take that knife steven segal style and cut that ponytail off! (kidding) :P
haha , that 's what my friend did , said sorry and high tailed out of the area but nonetheless couldn 't be sure if the instructor was joking or serious

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:40 pm

depends on crowds, is it poleboarders or gang bangers? weekend? weekday? Little baja safest but long walk.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:26 pm

The way I read "I have a knife and am not afraid to use it" addressed to a kiter by a guy who's been around kiters and kiting since its inception is that he intends to use it on the strings, not the kiter... but then again I wasn't there. Just sayin.

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cliftoncutshall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 am

Best bet if you are drifting into the "playpen" is to self rescue before you get close to the beach especially when it is crowded. ``
Next stop Little Baja DE$#
No room to land or launch with people around and it is understood that this is a no fly zone NJ**
Some kiters will come in with kite in the air and walk back up the road through the park. This is also unsafe IMHO and not necessary.
I have personally pulled the dump valve on kiters attempting to relaunch there with swimmers around. I care more about the public's safety and their opinion of kiters at Sherman than the convenience of one kiter who was inexperienced or foolish enough to end up there in the first place.
I think that rapid deflation of the kite via knife was Jason's intent. He is not stupid enough to cut lines and send a kite out of control.