10 Days In The Bay Area?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
MjrKrash
Contributor
Contributor
10 Days In The Bay Area?

Post by MjrKrash » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:46 am

Hello All,

Planning a trip to the Bay Area solely for kiteboarding, live music and kicking back. I'll be there July 6th. to the 16th. Looking for some info on must kite sites and a central area to base myself out of. Three spots I'd like to get are Sherman Island, Crissy, and to kite under the GG Bridge.

Thanks for a great resource!

Dan
_____________ _______ ____ __ _
Addicted...
Flying Ocean Rodeo Prodigys & Ozone Summits
Riding Mako & JT Pro, Secret Weapon, AllAround & Bigfoot+
http://www.erraticway.com

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re: 10 Days In The Bay Area?

Post by nick_80044 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:17 am

Crissy is the "kite under the GG Bridge" spot, so you can add another contender to your top three. 8)

If you want to be centrally located, you might want to consider staying in the East Bay (e.g., Oakland/Berkeley). This would give you five other spots close by that you can kite. Since Crissy and Sherman Island are kind of far apart, if you think you're going to mostly be spending time at one or the other, you'll probably want to park yourself close by--e.g., if you'll mostly be at Crissy, stay in San Francisco.

windstoked
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by windstoked » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:31 am

Nick's right, Dan, the East Bay is the most centrally located and has great live music options.
Sherman is 45 minutes away and has the best wind quality and most kitable days this time of year of anywhere in the country, but it's in the middle of nowhere.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:41 am

Sherman is one of my favorite spot at that time of the year for sure!
If you are gonna ride crissy, I suggest you read the entire guideline here.
And read this thread also here

For your 3rd spot, if you are into tricks, I'd say go pay the lower launch crew at 3rd avenue a visit (bring some beers, even if leo always has plenty), if you are into waves, I'd say go to waddell.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

jsimon
Joey
Joey

Post by jsimon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 am

Check out this great little oasis 30 minutes from Sherman island and about the same to
San Francisco (without traffic.)

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/880632

MjrKrash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MjrKrash » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks for the comments and advice. I've read the info on the link a few times now, all very helpful/good to know. Also up here we feel your pain on visitors and new kiters getting injured because they are under skilled for the environment or their actual abilities. Every year we have newbies get launched from gusts snapping arms and legs.
We try to catch new folks and grill them on tides and currents as well as their kiting abilities as best we can, but like you all more and more people are showing up.

Thanks for the info, I'm booked in to San Jose for the 6th, leaving the 16th. and I'm looking at rooms in the East Bay area mentioned! As with all my travel trips I plant an Alaskan Flag so if anyone feels like saying hello - please do!

I'll probably post here a few more times, checking in with locals on best bets for locations, shops and a few of you I've met snowkiting up here and sessions in the Gorge and Oregon Coast.

I'm going to bring 3-4 kites a mako 150, helmet, wetsuit, booties and gloves. Anything else??
Typical conditions kiting here are winds between 17 & 35kts with currents between 8~13kts.

The last major rescue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtfzxLYoaw

Thanks again all!
Dan
Addicted...

MjrKrash
Contributor
Contributor

Beach Bon Fire

Post by MjrKrash » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:22 am

Hey All,

Looking for some information on beaches either north or south that allow bon fires. Looks like a few friends will be showing up and we're thinking a fire and beverages would make for a good time.

Anyone know places along the coast within reason that still allow beach fires?

Thanks again

Dan
Addicted...

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 am

http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/fire_b ... UMP_219242

You can help keep Ocean Beach fires alive by following these simple rules:
•No fires outside rings.
•No glass in the fires.
•No alcohol on the beach.
•No fires after 10 PM.
•Burn only untreated, unpainted wood, to keep pollutants and poisons out of the air and sand.
•Don't burn pallets or any wood containing nails or other hardware.
•Bring your own firewood-don't use driftwood or other natural debris, as they serve as wildlife habitat. Gathering, cutting or scavenging of firewood or kindling is not permitted at the beach or in the park. Locally grown firewood is best.
•Burn Clean. Avoid using accelerants such as lighter fluid, as they leave pollution and poisons in the sand and the air. Paper and kindling are preferred fire starter material.
•Don't burn trash or debris. Most trash gives off pollution and poisonous gases. Refuse must be removed from the beach.
•Ceramic pit fires are prohibited.
•Bring a bucket to put out fire. Fires shall be completely extinguished with water, using the "drown, stir and feel" method.
•Do NOT bury hot coals with sand; buried coals are a safety hazard to visitors and wildlife.
•Fires shall be attended at all times by a responsible adult (18 year of age or older). Minors must be supervised by one person 21 or over for each 10 people under 18.
•Groups of more than 25 people must obtain a permit by calling 415-561-4300. the administrative cost for the permit is $50.00. Large-scale events may require more extensive review by National Park Service staff. If it is determined that your event will require extensive review, the administrative cost may be higher.
•Observe all posted regulations.
•Please observe "Spare the Air days." Do not burn beach fires when air pollution is severe. When air pollution reaches unhealthy levels, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District notifies the public by declaring a "Spare the Air day." To find out if today is a "Spare the Air day," visit http://www.sparetheair.org or call 1-800-HELP-AIR.

Dillon Beach is Private and they have a few fire rings and a good Kite beach.
There is a parking fee. About 50 road miles north of San Francisco.

An alternative would be a BBQ at Crissy, they have good Pic knick tables and Grills. And Alcohol is OK.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 am

Limantour is great but a bit of a hall. Technically you must get a permit at the Bear Valley Ranger Station.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/beachfires.htm

zgur
Resident
Resident

Post by zgur » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:11 pm

If you are into waves, go to Dillon.