Caution surfboard durability

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 am

How durable are the caution surfboards? Mine is starting to develop a lot small cracks in various places after four Waddell sessions. I am only 150lbs, but I am definitely not the smoothest rider out there. Yesterday during the session the tail section got a pretty decent crack. My guess is that this happened when the board and I got separated, and the board caught a wave or two towards the shore. I have used a surf repair shop in SC, and they were pretty good. The only downside is that it is a 40 mi drive for me. Has anybody tried this kit to fix boards like the tresspass? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BF ... g=surfe-20

Also, can the foam core of this board absorb water if the crack goes all the way through fiberglass to the core?
Attachments
board_crack.jpg
board_crack.jpg (158.84KiB)Viewed 7450 times

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Re: Caution surfboard durability

Post by Sonny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:29 am

I would be very shocked if the wave caused that damage. It probably happened in your car or the beach.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:39 am

Agree with Sonny. Only thing a wave has ever done with my surfboard is snap it in half, every other crack, ding, scratch, etc. was caused by abuse on the beach or leaning it against a wall to fall over. Waves are all or nothing unless it sends it into some rocks.

That sucks though.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:47 am

Sonny wrote:I would be very shocked if the wave caused that damage. It probably happened in your car or the beach.
It looked fine when I unpacked it from the car, and when I was in the water for the first 40 mins or so. I had to fish out the board a few times by the tail and it felt smooth until the crack developed somehow, and I had to fish out the board from yet another fall. Intrestingly enough, I noticed the crack after ramping off a wave and getting some serious air. I messed up the jump, and so I dumped the board in mid air and had a pretty hard crash into the water feet first. When I reached out to grab the board, I felt the damage.

Anyway, if I slather up the tail with the epoxy from the repair kit, would it prevent the water from getting to the foam core?

Edit: the board rides on the front seat in a bag, so the trunk/hatch smashing the tail is not an issue.
Last edited by drroc on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re:

Post by drroc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:50 am

jwest21 wrote:Agree with Sonny. Only thing a wave has ever done with my surfboard is snap it in half, every other crack, ding, scratch, etc. was caused by abuse on the beach or leaning it against a wall to fall over. Waves are all or nothing unless it sends it into some rocks.

That sucks though.
I'll post a picture of some interesting cracks that developed after running the board into a breaking wave.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:51 am

Yeah, it does not take a lot to ding glassed boards during transport. Do you hang your boards on your rooftop or do you put them inside the car? Even my beater boards, I transport them on a board bag because I just get tired of patching them up all the time when the weight shifts and the board bang against the side of my vehicle.

My long boards, when I hang them naked on the roof, sometimes they get dinged when the catch a flying rock/debris on the freeway.

You can also use nose and tail guards for your boards, helps a lot if you wipe out and the board nudges against something hard.

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:55 am

Mine was not very durable. Broke the nose, blew out a fin box and lots of stress cracks on the board.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 am

reyrivera wrote:Yeah, it does not take a lot to ding glassed boards during transport. Do you hang your boards on your rooftop or do you put them inside the car? Even my beater boards, I transport them on a board bag because I just get tired of patching them up all the time when the weight shifts and the board bang against the side of my vehicle.

My long boards, when I hang them naked on the roof, sometimes they get dinged when the catch a flying rock/debris on the freeway.

You can also use nose and tail guards for your boards, helps a lot if you wipe out and the board nudges against something hard.
The board rides shotgun in a bag. I am thinking of getting a nose/tail guard, as I have seen the board do cart wheels in the white wash close to shore. My theory is that the board did the cart wheel trick in the shallow water and the tail hit some rock.
jrg wrote:Mine was not very durable. Broke the nose, blew out a fin box and lots of stress cracks on the board.
I've gotten fin box cracks and cracks close to the tail on the first day I had it. It was brand new, when I picked it up from Brian's (caution sales guy) truck at Waddell. When I got to the beach after the sessions, I noticed some small cracks in the fin and tail area. Granted, I did mess up a jump and put the board quite a bit sideways. Also, the board has quite a bit of small bubbles in the glass.

I do really like the board overall, but I am a bit surprised that it has the durability of fine crystal.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Actually,

Happens all the time. You lose your board on a wave. It gets washed in and tumbled in the impact zone. Right now at Wadell there are exposed rocks and bits of reef near shore. It's not uncommon to get dings in the surf.
I have had the nose break off my main firewire board three times in a year. All from getting pounded in the shore pound.
As far as durability etc... I believe that the Trespass boards are traditional PU foam and Poly resin but double check that with Caution. As for water getting in...YES is will and over time cause the foam to brown, rot, and delaminate.

Honestly, if you ride the surf often you will beat up your boards unless you ride with a leash.... and I'm not opening that can of worms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zgur
Resident
Resident

Post by zgur » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Agree with all the observations above, especially the exposed reef/rocks @ waddell....

I would get my board professionally repaired...in my opinion, these guys do the best work in town http://www.besanding.com/

All boards get dinged over time....your skill level, size of surf and the bottom of where you ride all impact the damage to your board.

Fix it, ride the shit out of it....break it, repeat.

This is why I believe you MUST have 2-boards, so that when you primary breaks, you have a way to kite.

Get sum, Z