Sherman Down Winder

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sherman Down Winder

Post by g00mbs » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey,

I have heard that a Sherman Down Winder would be great for some n00bs. Well, my wife and I would fit that bill.

I guess I have some questions:

Is there skills that one would need to have before embarking on a downwinder?

What is the wind range typically at Sherman? I have a bigger kite ment more for Alameda at this point (14m). Would that be too large going to Sherman?

Who would be best to contact to arrange a downwinder at Sherman? Feel free to respond back in this thread or send me a PM.

I apologize if these questions have already been asked previously.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Sherman Down Winder

Post by WindMuch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi and welcome.

Have you and your wife taken lessons? Can you get up and ride? Stay upwind? Obviously you don't need to stay upwind to do a downwinder, but it's good to be realistic with your skills when you contact the party who will be taking you upwind. You might consider what is often called an "assisted downwinder" where the driver follows you back downwind in the boat and keeps an eye on your group in case of any trouble en route.

Nat Lincoln of Edge Kiteboarding is located at Sherman Island. Here's his contact info:
(775) 721-1132
edgekiteboarding@yahoo.com

Sherman can get really windy. It's not uncommon to use a 6m to 9m kite when the wind is on. A 14m is almost certainly too much kite for most days on the Delta.

Kirk out

g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by g00mbs » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks for the info.

We have taken lessons.

I can get up on a board for maybe 50-60meters and she is still working on getting up consistently. That would mean we cannot stay upwind, which is why I was thinking a downwinder could be good, as we wouldn't need to walk back up the beach :)

I plan to be completely realistic with our abilities. I was reading about the accident at 3rd today and took a mental note of tips there (talk to locals, understand and be honest with ones abilities, etc).

The assisted downwinder sounds more like what we might need.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am

Tell Nat I sent you. He'll get you dialed in!

Kirk out

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 am

An assisted downwinder is for you. The launch at Sherman is for advanced riders, not only for launching but for landing as well which is what you would be doing if you were just dropped off up wind. An assisted downwinder is great for where you are in your learning.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:10 am

I think a couples lesson up there with Nat would be best to get your skills up to par.

Upwind a big kite may be great, but by the time you get downwind it can be WAY too much.

Be careful. Have fun.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot