The "Kiteboarders Who Work in High Tech" Thread

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nick_80044
Regular
Regular
The "Kiteboarders Who Work in High Tech" Thread

Post by nick_80044 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Lots of Bay Area kiteboarders work in high tech, but we usually talk about kite-related stuff while hanging around on the beach waiting for wind, and our "other life" often stays hidden. I thought it would be nice if we made ourselves known to each other--it could be a great networking tool, especially for people like me who are looking for work (hint, hint). Or, it just might be fun to find out that kiting buddy you've casually chatted with over the last couple of years at Third Ave. shares your passion for C++ or new startups.

So here's your chance to briefly describe what you do, and include your company Web site, personal Web site, and/or other relevant links like your LinkedIn profile. (If you haven't tried LinkedIn yet, check it out--among other things, it's an easy way for us all to share info and stay connected in addition to BAK). Keeping in mind that this is a kiteboarding forum, include a favorite kiting tip.

Okay, here's me:

Vinnie Tieto

Technical Writer / Documentation Manager / Author
Other skills: Web design, C++, Java, quality assurance, project management, teaching/training

Other interests: Music (play the saxophone and keyboards, home software-based recording studio w/ Sonar X2, Reason et al.)

Some companies I've worked for: IBM, Wells Fargo Bank, Autodesk, Broderbund, Adobe/Scene7, Lyris, Passport Music Software

Learn more here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tieto/

You can find me at: Toll Plaza, Berkeley, Race Track, Alameda, Marina Bay.

My kiting tip: This is about jumping. I notice that a lot of people crash land when they jump. I found that the key to avoiding this (after I did a lot of crashing) is: don't oversend your kite, and keep it overhead as much as you can while descending. Your kite should be like a parachute on the way down. It's easier to oversend when the wind is light, so jumping really works best when you're reasonably powered.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm passing your info on to my employer, seems like you could be a good fit for helping our corporate office out with building training manuals and perhaps setting up some sharepoint or similar services for clients. They need a lot of help and I'm in the field so I can't do it.

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: The "Kiteboarders Who Work in High Tech" Thread

Post by Frappes » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Ross Danielson
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ross-danielson/15/293/10

Senior Software Engineer @ Zynga

Also worked for: Blizzard, Electronic Arts

Other Interests: Snowboarding/splitboarding, games

Spots: 3rd ave, Coyote, Crissy

Tip: Always bring a kite repair kit and backup hardware for your board when travelling. I lost a screw in Brazil (Jeri) and had to pay $20 for a replacement. ](*,)

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 pm

What the hell is going on here.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 pm

http://www.aristanetworks.com/
Co-founded by people who co-founded Sun and gave Google their first angel money.
I am developer there and we are actively hiring :)

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 pm

http://www.procurian.com/

Recommending my customers which one of your high-tech solutions they should buy and negotiating deals on their behalf.

My kite tip: Always bring your quiver, you never know how the wind will be when you get there.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Just when you thought the only time you were gonna get snaked by Ron was on a Sunday at Waddell he chicken jibes you Monday morning on that big deal that you were riding in way from the outside just as it's about to peak - Ouch! ^^

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re:

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:10 am

jwest21 wrote:I'm passing your info on to my employer, seems like you could be a good fit for helping our corporate office out with building training manuals and perhaps setting up some sharepoint or similar services for clients. They need a lot of help and I'm in the field so I can't do it.
That would be great--thanks, jwest!

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:19 am

Frappes wrote:Tip: Always bring a kite repair kit and backup hardware for your board when travelling. I lost a screw in Brazil (Jeri) and had to pay $20 for a replacement. ](*,)
Good tip. You might want to include, of all things, zip ties. I was riding at Alameda on Saturday and all of a sudden one of my footstraps started flopping around. Seems that the metal ring that held it in place rusted, disintegrated, and fell off. End of session. I've since inserted a couple of zip ties which seem to be holding up nicely. If I'd had them with me I could've done a quick repair and kept riding.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 am

Hello my name is Sloughslut, Drinking is my job but kiting is my hobbie if anyone has any money they dont need i will take it. |}{+
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils