Two or Three Kite Quiver?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident
Re: Two or Three Kite Quiver?

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:14 am

I went with the four kite quiver. Its really nice to be on the proper gear. The 12 is pure light wind, I don't even ride it in surf. The 10m is nice but I like the 8m better for kiteloops and surf sessions. The 10 is a dialed kite though, most kites are designed around 9 and 10. The 6 is for anything above 30mph.... All the way up to 50. Its a session saver as two years ago I sat several sessions out cause I didn't have small enough gear. Now I want to ride 8 or 6 always nothing else. If I were to buy new I would go 6,9,12... And consider adding a 4.5m down the line!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 am

Mark, I have had a 6,8,11 North Rebel quiver for over 3 years now and for most everything it is perfect. The 8 to 11 is a little stretch but not uncomfortably so. You would be stretching it or sitting on the beach with a 2 kite quiver. I had 7 and 10 for a while. It worked ok but not optimal. For riding the coast you definitely don't want to be without your small kite. Those are the best sessions.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 am

Another option as well is to go used & scrappy in those off-sizes you're not going to use very much. Helm, for example, had a couple of small used sizes, reasonable kites for very cheap ($300 or less).

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 am

I've had a 7,9, 12 and 14m for a couple of yrs. My 14m is really for light wind days in Alameda. For the coast, I am mostly on my 7 or 9 even though there were days I wish i had a 6m. I'll defnintely stay on a 3 kite quiver at least but I am thinking about extending the range of sizes to go from 6 to maybe 16 (6, 8/9, 11 & 14/16). I think it depends where you ride too...I live in Alameda but live wave riding so I need the appropriate gear for both ~~~

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Two or Three Kite Quiver?

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:11 pm

It is definitely about the cost vs. session ratio. I personally want to maximize my rideable days so 4 kites is a minimum for me.
For me it breaks down like this:

7m - Bread and butter at the coast. Usually wish I had an 8, but then would have to also have a 6. Taking me to a 5 kite quiver.

9m - My favorite ride but not used often. 9M wind is so great...enough wind for solid power but not so windy the water is shredded. And a 9m kite still flies fast.

11m - Light-medium wind kite when the lulls are pretty low. My personal 11m (Caution Mayhem X) is a little on the small side so it can handle the gusts on a medium wind day without ripping me off the water.

14m - Light wind session saver. I bought the 14 from an Alameda local because I got it for a great price, figuring I'd ride it once in a while. I find I get at least 1-2 extra sessions a week because of it as I can catch a quick town sesh when I don't have time to drive up the coast.

Basically, by bread and butter kites are my 7m and 14m. Go figure.

For point of reference, 180lbs, always on a surfboard. Either 5'6" or 6'3" strapless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by rowboat » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:13 am

I have had 3, 4, and 5 kite quivers and this year have gotten down to 2.

I weigh 190lbs. Until now my most-used quiver was 7/9/11 Ocean Rodeo Rises. I used the 9 most, but the 7 and 11 both got a lot of time. There were certainly some days when the 7 was too much... More recently I had 6/8/10/12/15 (overkill) OR Razors and the 8 & 10 got most use (8 most of all), then the 6, then the 12, then the 15 (basically never, except for Tom yesterday at Stinson, before I put up my 8 ;)

This year I have 6m + 8m Clouds and, believe it or not, they cover just about all conditions that I want to kite in. If it's blowing >30 I don't find the conditions that appealing, and the 8m works down to avg 18mph if not 17.

These days I only ride strapless (surfboards). I can adjust how much wind the kites work in by going with a larger/smaller board. Yesterday at Stinson Tom came in on my old 15m, said he was "powered", and I went out on my 8m, which worked great. Other guys were on 10s.

I am pretty psyched on the tiny two-kite quiver. It does mean that I don't have a light-wind "session saver", except I do, but I never use it, because it's big and un-fun to pump and while it files damn well for a 15, at that point I'd rather go do something else...
-- Lose the Handles

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:44 pm

rowboat wrote:This year I have 6m + 8m Clouds and, believe it or not, they cover just about all conditions that I want to kite in. If it's blowing >30 I don't find the conditions that appealing, and the 8m works down to avg 18mph if not 17.
Interesting ... I've been thinking of doing this myself. I currently have 9m/12m Cab's - but am interested in creating the ultimate travel kit (resolve splitboard + clouds). Is it true that you really size down 2m's with clouds? So ... a 6m/8m is comparable to a 8m/10m? Ever wish you had a 5m/8m cloud set up?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am

!
Last edited by Yoda on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 am

extensions also choke kites if you over do it.

I have 7/10/12 now.

The 10 overlaps the 12 by a good bit. Its unnecessary.
I could easily have just 7 and 10. (165lb TT) and here in the bay, i use that 10m 95% the time.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 am

Agree with etxxz. 10m is my goto kite around here. I weigh 220 and ride a 137/41.

However I think overall skill plays into this quite a bit. 2 seasons ago a 12m was my goto kite. With more experience I think comes the ability to use a smaller kite. So in any discussion of kite sizes I think it's important to factor in skill level.

And to some extent kites get better each year and allow for a slightly smaller kite.