Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 pm

A ban or harsh regulations are on the horizon.

Yesterday two people were rescued very far out because they were just too inexperienced for the weather conditions, they both lost there twin tips.

Rescues are becomming a daily occurance !

I have received many complaints from the windsurfers, other beach users, and commercial vessels.
This involves total lack of kite boarders knowledge of right of way sailing rules, look at me kite boarding just off the beach, and unsafe beach kite handling.

People have been showing up having never sailed there without asking for advice and getting in trouble.

This beach is for expert kite boarders only, unless specifically supervised by a local rider to assimilate a fairly competant rider to the challenging conditions here at Crissy, weather conditions permiting, no beginners.

Just like any sailor of any type of water craft it is nice to know that the Coast Guard is there.

Most rescues of kite boarders at Crissy are not the local riders.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138553396/MSI ... yak-Safety

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:09 pm

We are in the middle of an access issue here at Front Yards as well.....thankfully not kite related.... It is a big deal and if access is abused and public agencies get tired of dealing with it they can make something illegal MUCH faster than we as citizens can undo it. So...... Make it work or you will loose it....I speak the voice of experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:10 pm

What about posting some simple signs. One sign on the gate at third I would say has been very effective in changing behavior.

Not everyone reads forums. Especially beginners.

Ever since the sign went up at third I've seen very few kiters park in the middle of the lot.

Just post a warning that kiting Crissy is for advanced kiters only and that anyone else should ask someone about the conditions before going out.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Or maybe just warn about the sharks in the bay.

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re:

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:16 pm

tgautier wrote:Or maybe just warn about the sharks in the bay.
Some guy in the parking lot told me some other guy said he saw a shark in the bay

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Re: Crissy...trouble in paradise

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I never ride Crissy. Partially because I'm not down to swim in but mainly cause I'd rather smash the coast. Anyways w the rookie topic, I think it comes with the territory. Crissy is a high profile location and your going to get it all. Truth is that its not fair to say only local expert kiters should be kiting Crissy, although I agree cause boat support is kinda BS. But its one of those spots that every kiter wants to ride and should be able to. Not saying rookies should be kiting crissy. if you kite Crissy I'm pretty sure you've been rescued. Shit happens,but it should be minimized.... But seriously, No rooks at Crissy or '?'?
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Tgautier: there is already a sign right next to the showers at Crissy explaining EVERYTHING.
Sadly, nobody takes the time to read it.
I remember going multiple times to Crissy without riding it before I even dared to get in the water.
Talking to locals.
Then when I felt ready I went with Phil who's been there multiple times and he was carrying a radio.
Like the open ocean, Crissy needs to be treated with respect or it will kick you in the balls.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Like you I took many precautions before ever kiting there. But I have never seen that sign. So methinks its not obvious enough.

Besides - who takes a shower *before* kiting?

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 pm

It sucks but the more kiters there are, statistically the more kiters with poor judgement there will be. When are we doing our crissy to linda mar downwinder T? We gotta hit it before they shut that launch down

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Aloha wrote:When are we doing our crissy to linda mar downwinder T? We gotta hit it before they shut that launch down

I am down!!!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com