ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
Re: ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 am

BayAreaKite wrote:
kandrey89 wrote:
Do you have to pay a fee/fine/service or something if you are rescued by firefighters/coast guard?
No, which is why the 'service' is so popular at Crissy, notably in the late summer and fall.
So you're not happy with us kiting at Crissy then?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

ozchrisb wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:
kandrey89 wrote:
Do you have to pay a fee/fine/service or something if you are rescued by firefighters/coast guard?
No, which is why the 'service' is so popular at Crissy, notably in the late summer and fall.
So you're not happy with us kiting at Crissy then?
I don't think that's what Ollie meant.
To be fair, Crissy has more pick up by the coast guards because things turn sour really quick in case of a breakdown.
If you blow your canopy in the middle of the channel or, even worse, when you are outside the gate, no matter how good your self rescue skills are: on an ebb you'll be good for a trip to the faralons. And I'm not even talking about traffic with tankers...
Yes, too many people go to Crissy unprepared and that's why we get more pick up than necessary,that's why every year Jeff posts the guidelines about Crissy.
I think that's why Ollie mentions that some folks take it as a "service".
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 am

Can't people swim?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 am

On a 6kts ebb good luck reaching Anita's from the north tower swimming. :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: CRISSY/ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post by OliverG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:02 pm

You guys are getting me wrong here, I just thought it was amusing to see a Crissy kiter post about a rescue at Alameda.

Crissy, OTOH, has had many rescues over the years.
Jeff's info on Crissy is golden as it undoubtedly educates and helps many. Erin's info is right: "Its just about learning to be self sufficient and reading the conditions right"

tanker223
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tanker223 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm

guidoz wrote:I couldn't agree more! Firefighters at Alameda have much to make up for. They have been a bad joke in the past! Should I ever be lost in the middle of the bay, I will pray for the coast guard, and please please not the completely incompetent Alameda firefighters!
Actually- The firefighters tried to respond: they were instructed not to enter the water by their administration after the City of Alameda cut the funding to their H2O rescue program. Why an island doesn't need a water rescue contingent is beyond me, but there you go. And when faced with losing their jobs to rescue a guy who is standing up in the water, I'm not sure any of us would have gone in?
Colin

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:35 pm

tanker223 wrote:
guidoz wrote:I couldn't agree more! Firefighters at Alameda have much to make up for. They have been a bad joke in the past! Should I ever be lost in the middle of the bay, I will pray for the coast guard, and please please not the completely incompetent Alameda firefighters!
Actually- The firefighters tried to respond: they were instructed not to enter the water by their administration after the City of Alameda cut the funding to their H2O rescue program. Why an island doesn't need a water rescue contingent is beyond me, but there you go. And when faced with losing their jobs to rescue a guy who is standing up in the water, I'm not sure any of us would have gone in?
I think Alameda fire department is being portrait incorrectly. After all, the guy was trying to commit suicide and didn't want help and didn't need help.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm

18 firefighters seems way too many. 1 helping, 17 watching?

Expecting rescue to pick you up when the wind dies is wrong. Kiters should always rely on themselves to get back to shore. Rescue helps but plan A should be you. Take responsibility.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes, the guy commit suicide not drowned from being disoriented. He asked for help and the fire dept didn't help because it was out of their jurisdiction. I have a big issue with the amount of people it takes now to get a boat out. It's mostly some old lady down the beach probably calling these in(I don't know). But that day was blowing offshore and died. There are a handful of alameda regulars that seem to need help or insist on going out regardless of conditions. Half the time they are fine a d don't need a rescue. Regardless it doesn't take 18 people, 3 trucks,4 cop cars, a zodiac and a at times a helicopter!

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

CRISSY/ALAMEDA -- Firefighters rescued a kite surfer

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Loscocco wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:
kandrey89 wrote:
Not true, Most of us Crissy kiters average less than one rescue a year. I have had 3 in 7 years of kiting there almost daily. Its just about learning to be self sufficient and reading the conditions right

Hmmmmmmmm.

And folks bitch about Wadell. Any count on the total number of rescues there in recent years?? Can't remember the last one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD