Coming from Ireland...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Irishkiteboy
Joey
Joey
Coming from Ireland...

Post by Irishkiteboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Taking a trip over for a few weeks to San Fran and San Diego, Can anyone advice on size of kite to bring(can only fit one in)?
Anywhere I can rent a board?!

Any help appreciated, I'll buy you's a pint!

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Coming from Ireland...

Post by guidoz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:43 pm

well to give you better advice you need to provide a couple more infos...

- whats your weight (really matters wouldn't you agree ;-) )
- what is your skill level
- what are you looking for (waves, race, freestyle...)

there is no kite size that fits the Bay Area and San Diego, cause in San Diego you need a 21m haha (no really they have crap wind down there...)

if you are an average guy, lets say 75kg, a 9 or 10m would be good for many places, but if you want to go to the coast, I would go smaller. Really you should bring 2 kites

turbinedude
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by turbinedude » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Whatsup IrishKiteboy,

I have down a lot of traveling up and down 101 from SF to SD in the last year and my 08 Rebel North 12m2 with a twin tip is the best thing ever to have in the trunk.
I only weigh 140 lbs and this particular kite has had every unnecessary bit of weight and drag removed, so I can get launched pretty good when I hit the wind right. Since last Summer I have had easily over 50 sessions on this kite in places ranging as far South as Silver Strand to Fiesta Island to Oceanside Pier to Belmont Shore to C-Street to Gaviota to Pismo Beach to Laguna Lake to Ocean Beach to Sherman Island and many more places in between.
There has only been a few times when there was too much wind, but the thing is there are so many spots that you can drive 30 minutes somewhere else and the wind will be totally different.
You are coming to Cali during the windiest time of the year, so that fact may prompt you to go smaller.
Anywhere South of Gaviota you will want a large canopy above you. The coast line juts inland right there, so much of the Pacific Winds sailing down from Alaska miss the coast.
However, North of Gaviota conditions become better and there will probably be times where you will be grounded out by too much winds.
I would definitely recommend packing a smaller kite (for me a 12 & 8 combo would be ideal) if you can unless you have access to variable kite.
Sounds like you are going to have a kick ass time!

Irishkiteboy
Joey
Joey

Post by Irishkiteboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Cool, thanks for replies!

Im gonna be in San Fran city first, so will probaly just surf close to the city centre.

Ive seen people set up near the bridge, is there a particular spot?

I could only fit one kite in, so flexi 11m force!! I wanna get a new wetsuit, any good shops in city you's reccomdend??

Anyone rent a board?!

Whats the story with sharks!!? We've none at home. The bay is safe?

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:38 pm

F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

Boardsports
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Location:Crown Beach Alameda, Coyote Pt San Mateo, & San Francisco

Post by Boardsports » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Irishkiteboy wrote:Cool, thanks for replies!

Im gonna be in San Fran city first, so will probaly just surf close to the city centre.

Ive seen people set up near the bridge, is there a particular spot?

I could only fit one kite in, so flexi 11m force!! I wanna get a new wetsuit, any good shops in city you's reccomdend??

Anyone rent a board?!

Whats the story with sharks!!? We've none at home. The bay is safe?
We have a full retail shop, rentals, and lessons. If you need a wetsuit to rent (or kite board to rent) come see us! Beach side retail shop/rental/lesson facilities in Alameda and San Mateo
http://boardsportsschool.com/contact/
We are open 7 days a week at both locations :)
Jane
--
Boardsports California
Alameda - San Mateo - SF
Voted "Best of the Bay"
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/