Switchblade or Park

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
ca1badptc@aol.com
Joey
Joey
Switchblade or Park

Post by ca1badptc@aol.com » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello,
Question i have been looking to get my first kite but can not figure out what one.
I have narrowed it down to the Switchblade and Park.
if you had a choice which one would you get?
i know i will have to get 2 different sizes but for know i will be looking at a 12 meter and probably a 8 later.
Thanks

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Switchblade or Park

Post by mcfly777 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Hey. If you are a beginner all you need is an all-around good kite, and both fit the bill. I am a beginner still and have used the switchblade during lessons, and now own 2 parks, and I can't really feel much of a difference as everything is so new. When you become more experienced you will notice differences and adjust according to your preferences. For now I wouldn't sweat much. Prob just get something cheap since you'll encounter some mishaps anyway.

Leo

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:46 am

Leo is right on with that, I'd go with whichever you can get at a good price and good support in case you encounter problems. Switchblade is probably the more popular of the two for the area, I see them everywhere!

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Since you might be looking at used kites: keep in mind that as of 2013, the power characteristics of the SB went through significant changes, to the point that you usually go up 1M in size on a 2013 to match the same power. This is due to a change in design that caused it to turn faster and lower the bar pressure, which many riders prefer.

Also, on the two sizes front, search history because you'll see a lot of threads on this. Everything depends on where you're kiting, but most people advocate a 9m/12m as a two kite quiver. I actually think it makes more sense to do something like 10m/12m or 9m/11m, in case you later want to get a 7m or 8m to make a three kite quiver.

Enjoy and be safe!

ca1badptc@aol.com
Joey
Joey

Post by ca1badptc@aol.com » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the replies!
just ordered my wetsuit this afternoon.
still have not made up my mind on SW or Park.
for now it will be one kite, I will add 1-2 more when I get more $
Again Thanks for the Replies
Ralph