launch/land practice?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor
launch/land practice?

Post by Jamo04AT » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 am

Can I practice my launching/landing on land before heading to Alameda? So many people there kinda makes me nervous! If I can, where is a good spot? Didn't do a whole lot of practice during my lesson, he said I was already really good at it so we moved on but I don't feel confident yet especially with how busy Alameda is

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:38 pm

You could head down just below the shellgate launch on a day when it isn't crowded with ton of beach-goers. I'd suggest bringing the kite pretty close to the water so you're standing well into the water for the launch. I know I was also pretty nervous for my first launch, too, just make sure you got that kite pumped up nice and hard and the person launching you knows you're a beginner and to ensure nothing is tangled up on their end before letting go.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Oh, and to clarify in case that's confusing, shellgate is at Alameda crown beach, just a few hundred feet down the beach from boardsports school.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: launch/land practice?

Post by etxxz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:05 pm

OB.... wide beach. easy to pick a place without people where you can dump and flag your kite if you have to and not worry about trees, road, walkway etc. Go with a friend or ask one of us ; |

That's how i learned.

Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jamo04AT » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Haha I figured that's what shell gate was! I was thinking about that and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to since there is that designated launch my the school! Kinda funny cuz I work for the company that owns crown beach (fleet mechanic). Thanks guys for the info!! I'll check out ocean beach as well mabye on a mellow day. Appreciate the comments can't wait to be decent someday and help out a noob lol. Also if anyone wants a shuttle I have a jetski we have some options Haha I actually live like 15 mins from Sherman island

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 am

The water's edge, as stated, is a good place. While you're at it, you might want to consider practicing self-rescuing as well. Wade out into the water until you're just over your head, and then go through the steps of pulling the quick release, winding lines, and getting into shore by using the kite as a sail---or swimming in with it. You can already practice the release and winding part on land without the kite but nothing prepares you for the real thing like something close to the real thing.

I have gone to a large, grassy open park area with no people or hard objects downwind to practice self-launching and landing. This could work for regular launch/land, too. Go in lighter wind, use a smaller kite if available, and wear helmet/impact vest just in case you fall and get dragged a little (hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood).

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am

BTW, a tip in the category of "Things you absolutely should know, but many newbies do incorrectly": start your launch downwind enough so the kite is weakly powered (canopy of the kite should be luffing), and then before giving the thumbs-up signal, walk upwind until the canopy stops luffing. Before learning this, I had several bad launches--after, never a bad launch again.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

launch/land practice?

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

And...until you are comfortable with your gear and wind knowledge, always pull your trim strap/rope/thingy in to full depower before lunch. This will minimize some of the danger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:04 pm

To beat a dead horse: the practice you get with your trainer translates fairly well to launching/landing the big boy. In fact, the motion of bringing the kite down all the way up and down along the perimeter of the window is actually a little more challenging with a little foil trainer, as they tend to stall out closer to the ground. Recovering from those little stalls is pretty good steering/feel practice, and will help with the real thing later.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:27 pm

If you get a lull right at launch, taking a step or two back can really save the kite, just make sure you have the space to not step on someone else's kite.

Launching can always be tricky but great advice on being just upwind of where it goes from luffing to a tight canopy. It also feels amazing to save a launch that has some type of hiccup. It's like being it that dream with no pants to eff it up though. Haha, good luck!