Trainer Kite Questions

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Trainer Kite Questions

Post by g00mbs » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 pm

I originally started this thread. I'm 220lbs and got a 2.5M trainer. It worked great and I had excellent lessons due to this moving forward. My wife is 110lbs and she could still use the kite. We plan on keeping it for fun now and although it was expensive (in our eyes) it was totally worth it.

We purchased a 3 line 2.5 M.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am

Getting a three line (or rigging up your own third line) is pretty helpful if you'll be practicing alone.

I've also been wondering, if I've got a full sized kite down in the water upside-down and sheet/trim to full power, then pull the steering lines both in even further, would it backfly up out of the water? I'm sure it's mostly a moot point these days since most kites relaunch at the edge like a dream as long as there's enough wind.

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am

X-enon wrote: What would you recommend?
To buy a cheapest two lines kite? Or invest some money in three lines and save it for fun in future?
I bought a 3-line (Ozone 3m). You want the depower, it makes it safe. You may consider these "small" but if you screw up a 3m can have a lot of power, certainly enough to drag you around. Just let go of the bar and you're ok.

Leo

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:29 am

3m is plenty! I'm 150 lbs and in about 15 knots I could send the kite in a way to lift me 5 feet off the ground and 20-30 feet downwind. Hold the kite at the edge of the window, then turn sharp in the opposite direction and when it's gaining power and speed as it passes straight in the middle of the power zone, steer hard up toward 12 o'clock, BAM! Lift off.

X-enon
Joey
Joey

Post by X-enon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you guys for help!

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 am

Just a 2m but it's a great price. One advantage of going for a smaller trainer over a bigger one that can get you lifted off the ground, is they move much faster and turn quicker, same story as full sized inflatables we fly.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/3859233457.html