Best place to practice unhooked?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jayfly
Joey
Joey
Re: Best place to practice unhooked?

Post by jayfly » Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 am

For flat water and open space go to TP and go around the bend on the inside, waist deep and sand. Wind needs to be 20 plus to get out of there but i rode there for hours yesterday. Fact is I know of four people who actually ride there; shit i saw Royce boost over the shack one day. What people don't understand is when to go there, maybe we will get a sensor out there one day. A lot of room for more advanced riders. Ridden there this whole season until yesterday on a 9 (rip).

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Sun May 19, 2013 1:02 pm

hey paul, the day I saw you at Scott creek this winter I was riding unhooked.

you gotta have your unhooked riding dialed, and you've gotta be good on the wave and understand how to ride it without your kite.

That being said, I'm pretty good unhooked, but sucky on the wave so my performance is less than inspiring. Had one really good wave that day though. Its gotta be on a big enough wave to ride without the kite, and one that is predictable (not close out).

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Sun May 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Jayfly, do you mean around the right side, past the radio towers?

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Mon May 20, 2013 10:10 am

ramsey, i'd like to learn more about unhooking in surf. can you unhook on any ride-able day or is it dependent on conditions? what are the best conditions to unhook: side, side-on, side-off? do you rig smaller to do it? and when you bail, do you release the bar and let the kite drop? seems sketchy, but i can't imagine it's easy to fly it blind and fully powered from inside the whitewash.

ramsey wrote:hey paul, the day I saw you at Scott creek this winter I was riding unhooked.

you gotta have your unhooked riding dialed, and you've gotta be good on the wave and understand how to ride it without your kite.

That being said, I'm pretty good unhooked, but sucky on the wave so my performance is less than inspiring. Had one really good wave that day though. Its gotta be on a big enough wave to ride without the kite, and one that is predictable (not close out).

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon May 20, 2013 10:51 am

[quote="behindThePeak" but i can't imagine it's easy to fly it blind and fully powered from inside the whitewash.

Gives the term "suicide leash" a whole new meaning :shock:
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Trust me I'm not an expert on riding waves unhooked.

I've never had to bail yet, but what I do is just hook back in. I think its better to be slightly underpowered on a bigger board. On shore really no good. Side shore is where I have done it either at waddell or Scott creek. Maybe OB on south wind. But you better be super confident unhooked especially if there are other people around.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm

I gained a lot of confidence practicing unhooked stuff in Alameda. I found that a safe spot was more important than flat water to practice unhooked things (twintip and directional). Just be careful at low tide...

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon May 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Kyle if it's side-on make sure you ate your spinach that morning!

nckites
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nckites » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Just dont do it up wind from people, you will go down :)