Kiting with Torn Rotator (shoulder)?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
1/2inMexico
Contributor
Contributor
Kiting with Torn Rotator (shoulder)?

Post by 1/2inMexico » Sun May 12, 2013 7:52 am

Hola,
Last summer I crashed on a road bike and ended up with a full thickness tear to the supraspinatus tendon, as well as a partial tear to the infraspinatus tendon. The odd thing is that this injury has cause me relatively no pain. I would describe it more as an irritation than a pain.
I took a couple months break from kiting last winter, but then in January I went to La Ventana and kited for at least 27 days in a row. My style is roughly %90 directional, %10 TT. Kiteboarding caused almost no shoulder symptoms to occur, except on days when I was super over-powered on the wrong kite. Also, a lot of sheeting in an jumping will aggravate it some.
This week I went to the orthopedic surgeon finally and asked a lot of questions about whether to get the surgery or not, and what activities to avoid. His comment when I showed him how I reach for a bar was "This might just the worst thing for your injury". Also "You will be back for surgery, trust me, this will get worse"
Questions:
Have any of you experience the kiting life with a torn rotator?
Have any of you elected to not get the surgery, and still continued kiting?
If you did get the surgery, were you able to return to kiting? 6 months? A year?

Thank You

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 am

Tore my rotator cuff in a motorcycle accident. Because I also played ice hockey at the time I opted for the surgery.

I have about 98% mobility. Heavy kiting sometimes causes minor irritation but I've never been concerned that I might end up doing more damage to it by kiting.

Very glad I did the surgery for what it's worth.

This was about 7 years ago when I was in my early 30's. I think the younger you are the more it makes sense.

The best advice I can give you is get multiple opinions. I know it seems like a real pain in the butt but its the only thing I regret.

That's not to say I think I should not have done it or that I am unhappy with my surgeon. I am super happy on both fronts.

But over the years the only thing I wish I has done was get one or two more opinions to remove any doubts.

Good luck and if you want the name of my surgeon I would be happy to give it to you just pm me - I really liked him a lot and he's a hard core surfer so he understood my needs quite well.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Re: Kiting with Torn Rotator (shoulder)?

Post by friggin old guy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Don't have any experience with that kind of injury but would suggest Dr. Alvin Loosli in Walnut Creek if you want a second opinion. He generally prefers to avoid surgery where possible and is big on getting you back full via very simple but effective physical rehab. Specialty in the past was sports medicine for swimming teams, including multiple Olympics teams. I'm sure he's completely dialed on shoulder mechanics.

He's sort of stepped back from the business (I get the idea that he's become disillusioned by how corporate most practices are these days) and operates out of a gym. Don't let that fool you. He's one of the best doctors I've ever seen and has helped me rehab very quickly from several injuries. He's used to dealing with pain in the ass patients (like me) that have no patience for prolonged rehab programs.

Good luck....

1/2inMexico
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 1/2inMexico » Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Friggin, Thanks. I wish I lived a bit closer to Walnut Creek.I'm casting a wider net from Tacoma Washington, sorry.
You stole my name :)

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 pm

You stole my name :)
Heh

Dr Loosli always asks how old I am even when he's looking at my chart.......I'm pretty sure he is questioning my maturity rather than complimenting my physique.

Oops, thought you might be local....2nd/3rd opinions very worth it but see if you can find a sports-minded doc, vet him before you pay the visit. Not all sports medicine docs are the same, unfortunately most go for the "sure" thing to limit liability and put $$$ in the system.....minority will do their utmost to minimize invasive surgeries. You need to be your own medical advocate these days.......and not depend entirely on the doc knowing you well enough to advise what's best for you as an individual.

Hope others will chime in that may have more immediate advice other than getting a good doc.

John Doe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by John Doe » Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 am

Pretty simply, if it doesn't hurt or cause you lost mobility, leave it alone. I had a minor torn (or strained) rotator & left it alone. It got better. I had a lot of pain deep inside my shoulder. Hurt if I raised my arm. Was shooting pain at times like tendonitis. Pain was pretty bad at times. Went on for about a month.

I saw a few people about it & one gave me Arnica cream. Had my wife massage that in every night & it made a HUGE difference. Iced it etc. Did that for a month or so. Slowly started doing light weights to strengthen the whole area. Today I'm fine. I watch myself & with the slightest bit of pain, I stop immediately & leave it alone.

Again, my injury might not be the same as yours but today I'm just ducky +*!@

Slappysan
Joey
Joey

Post by Slappysan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I have shoulder problems and find that using a seat harness helps.