Crossed Lines

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Crossed Lines

Post by drroc » Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm

I have noticed that my switch methodv1 is really prone to crossing the lines once it goes for a drink. At Waddell it is not too bad as the beach is super wide and I can just fix it on the beach. However at 3rd, it is a pain in the ass as I have to go all the way to the lz. Is it possible to fix the issue while in the water?

Thanks!

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re: Crossed Lines

Post by nick_80044 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm

By "crossing lines" I assume you mean the kite inverts. If that's the case, it's my understanding that at that point, you're done. You must land and correct the problem.

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Thu May 09, 2013 4:31 pm

nick_80044 wrote:By "crossing lines" I assume you mean the kite inverts. If that's the case, it's my understanding that at that point, you're done. You must land and correct the problem.
No, the kite ends moving between the lines. Once relaunced, it flies fine, but some of the lines are crossed with each other. Typically, a backline will cross over a front line. Although on one occasion, I had the back line cross over both of the front lines.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Thu May 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Typically, a backline will cross over a front line.

:shock:

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 pm

it depends on your bar. if you ride a bar like Cabrinha or North or Naish then you probably can't, because the Y-split is several meters up. If you ride a bar like LF or SS you can, because the front line y split is down by the bar.

It's relatively easy to fix if you think about it....if your kite was able to make the lines crossed, then theoretically, you should be able to uncross them by passing the bar inside of itself.

to do it, I usually drop my kite in the water, look carefully at the lines to figure out where i need to pass the bar, unhook, pass the bar through the lines, hook back in, unhook my leash, untangle the leash, hook the leash back on.

I generally don't do it if it's super windy, but on normal days it's not hard.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri May 10, 2013 8:43 am

Tried the on-the-water uncross the lines move once at the Racetrack (in Berkeley) once a couple of seasons ago. Unless I'm mistaken (totally possible), to untangle a situation like this, you'll need to disconnect your kite leash before you unhook. Maybe it was too windy when I did it, or I just flailed, but my kite ended up having the chicken loop pulled out of my hands during the attempted untangle and my kite blew downwind too fast for me to catch it.

Fortunately another kiter who was sitting in his car grabbed my kite before it was thrashed on the rocks (I love it when we kiters help each other out!).

What did I do wrong?

Kirk out

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 am

You'd definitely need to undo the safety leash, but it could be detached, sent through lines the opposite way you intend to send the bar, reattached (probably suicide style), then send the bar through the lines.

HOWEVER, regardless of how it's done, you ultimately are putting your hand through lines with a kite that is not being held down and risk the possibility of serious injury. I would personally always make the call to head in for a quick landing over attempting it at sea. I like all ten of my fingers.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 am

jwest21 wrote: HOWEVER, regardless of how it's done, you ultimately are putting your hand through lines with a kite that is not being held down and risk the possibility of serious injury. I would personally always make the call to head in for a quick landing over attempting it at sea. I like all ten of my fingers.
Absofreakinlutely. I forgot to add the disclaimer - do NOT try this unless there is no safe landing area to land and untangle things with your kite safely on the ground. In fact, my kites (Rallys) seem to fly pretty fine with the lines crossed in funky ways - I know as I screw them up all the time! Just fly it in, have someone land you, untangle and re-session!

Kirk out

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 am

So the switch kite can be landed leading edge very easily. Just depower it, put it on the edge of the window, and then yank hard on the front lines. But I think I need to try this untangle trick on the beach to make sure that I get a feel of what is going on. It would definitely suck to create an even bigger tangle and make the kite unflyable.

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Frappes » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 am

I watched a guy lose his kite in Brazil trying this on the water because he had to undo his leash. I would not recommend trying this on the water.