SFBA message and Background on the CG bulletin

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Re: SFBA message and Background on the CG bulletin

Post by yojimbo » Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm sure the lady on the SUP was not shouting obscenities at the tug boat crew, she was probably doing Chatarungas while "loudly" chanting in Sanskrit to drown out the wolf whistles from the tug boat crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uaVY3p2J-E[/video]

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am

Please email this to all your sailing friends,and get this to as many sailors as possible.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/139057167/SFB ... MSIB-13-03

http://www.scribd.com/doc/138553396/MSI ... yak-Safety

thanks

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Does anyone know where they got the statistic about 17 kiteboarder deaths in 2012 in the USA? That sounds way too high to me.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Thor29 wrote:Does anyone know where they got the statistic about 17 kiteboarder deaths in 2012 in the USA? That sounds way too high to me.
getting info on how many kiters have died from an windsurfing forum? Are they trying to say that kiteboarding is dangerous and should be canceled also?
:)
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm

`~` Most kiteboarders over 40 years old were old school windsurfers. NJ**

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Tony Soprano wrote:Visit Ocean Rodeo
I suggest you ask RickI form FSKA the next time you want REAL data. He really tries to track these number correctly and is for sure a better resource than a random forum post form the kite haters which are not kiteboarders yet. I am sure Rick responds in a few days with real numbers.

I dont by 17.

G

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue May 07, 2013 9:28 pm

the answer was just one click away as someone already asked on KF:
----------------
2012 was the lowest year for fatalities in many years based upon reports I have seen. Technology and maturing of the sport seem likely causes of the improvement. Compare this to 2009 when there were 24 reported fatalities worldwide with four in the USA. There may well have been losses I haven't heard about as always but it is unlikely there were many such unreported accidents in the USA in 2012 based upon past years.

I have heard about two USA fatalities in 2012 they included a squall related fatality in Witchita, Kansas and a drowning in Malibu, California in 2012.

Worldwide, I heard about a total of nine fatalities including the two in the USA in 2012.
They included losses in Oostduinkerke, Belgium; Phuket, Thailand; Western Australia; Redcliffe, Australia and Mecklenburg, Germany, Walchensee, Germany, Sotavento, Canary Islands plus the two in the USA.

I suspect there have been other fatalities worldwide that I haven't heard about in 2012. In addition to the diminished reporting of such accidents on kiteforum, google got rid of a very helpful foreign language search feature that has hurt the ability to do broad easy searches worldwide.

I would appreciate it if people would report other fatalities than those listed to me via flkitesurfer (at) hotmail.com. Each such accident is a tragedy and information from these sad accidents may provide an important means of avoiding repetition.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=10
-----

Do I have the impression that the SFBA does not do the kiting aspect too well of a service if they put messages out like that.

G