Kite camps

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
C00L
Joey
Joey
Kite camps

Post by C00L » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi guys,

I'm craving to learn kiteboarding and looking for 1-2 week camps that I can fly from San Francisco with the best price/performance. Any ideas?

cheers,

C00L

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kite camps

Post by kitedancer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:08 am

Hatteras, NC.
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:29 am

Talk to us at KGB we can get you going in a week for sure in great reliable local winds.
www.kgbswag.com
Royce V
KGBswag

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm

I can second that Hatteras is a great place to learn. Kitty Hawk Kites (KHK) has warm shallow water, great instructors, solid wind, and a mini-resort to stay at. Real Kiteboarding down the street is also solid from what I have heard.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 pm

I will second that the bay area has everything one needs to learn to kite...why fly across the country while you can experience the diversity of the spots at home?

tocayo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tocayo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Ron wrote:I will second that the bay area has everything one needs to learn to kite...why fly across the country while you can experience the diversity of the spots at home?

+1

Only reason to leave the bay to learn is if it isn't the windy season here....lucky for you it is just kicking up so you have all spring, summer, and part of fall to get dialed in! Good luck!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 pm

I would agree that at this time of year, here in the bay area, there's no reason to go elsewhere to learn to kite unless you need to have that vacation, intensive learn to kite experience and don't mind spending a lot more than you need to in order to get there. You could go with kgb and get (when there's not high pressure in place) reliable wind and be kiting with some confidence soon enough to enjoy our season here...

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Bay Area has some of the best wind globally.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed May 01, 2013 1:12 pm

You should check out Floras Lake. Post up and camp for two weeks and take lessons with Will. Its pretty much the most awesome place on the planet. my .02 anyways
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

There is absolutely no reason to leave the area this time of year. Nothing against the great instructors around the Bay, they offer a fantastic service. However, I am partial to Sherman Island as a spot to learn. Although it is definitely not a beginner spot, it is a great spot to get one-on-one instruction. Give Nat Lincoln of Edge Kiteboarding a call, better yet text him at (775) 721-1132. Nat will take you down river to a safe and secluded spot away from other kiters, and you will be up and riding in no time.
Tunces - The driving cat!