How dangerous is an unreliable spreader bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Re: How dangerous is an unreliable spreader bar?

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 pm

A sketchy harness is not worth it. A few other people have their stories, like FoG's which sounds scary and then several years ago Chip was setting up for one for one of the crossings they did out by the Farallons and his ancient harness failed and he almost drowned. One side of the harness blew out in high winds waaay out there, sending the kite a gnarly repeating loop, and despite boat support, they had trouble getting to him and after some intense rescue efforts, things just barely turned out ok.

So, maybe a new one sounds like a good idea?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 pm

WindMuch wrote:The steering wheel on my car falls off sometimes - should I be concerned?

If you were to pose this question to someone unfamiliar with kiting, I'm guessing you'd get a quizzical "...are you effing serious?" look because the question sounds something like:

"I do this sport where I attach my body to a really big kite. We regularly fly these kites in 25+ mile per hour winds. Sometimes I let the kite lift me 10-25+ feet off the water. Oh yeah, and the thing that attaches my body to all that power, well, sometimes it comes loose..."

Question answered?

(grin)

Kirk out
MJ0_ MJ0_ :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

How dangerous is an unreliable spreader bar?

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am

ddubwinokur wrote:Word, thanks for the responses all. I was trying to rationalize expending more $$ on kiting gear, and I think you all have helped me down this path significantly.

If all you are doing is looking for someone to help you justify buying more kite gear, there are about ...Ollie, what's the membership here?... that many people willing to help!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 am

You can squish the Dakine clips to be almost closed too. Or even better smash the one that comes undone when you're toe side (i.e. the upwind one), unless you go toe side both ways. In the "old" days they used to ship them with the opening facing out, now it faces in. Seems like either way will come undone either way. The clips seem like a good idea.

zgur
Resident
Resident

Post by zgur » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 am

Helped you down the path? Dude, get a new harness. It is less expensive than a funeral, helicopter rescue, insurance deductible

Get sum, Z

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am

I think you have the idea. The answer was pretty obvious. Safety should never be compromised for the sake of a few bucks. It is just the price of the sport. You can afford it or you can't. Not just your safety, but anyone who has to deal with your runaway kite/harness combo.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot