Why was 3rd so good?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Z4Kiter
Contributor
Contributor
Why was 3rd so good?

Post by Z4Kiter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:16 am

Tuesday August 30. 3rd Ave sensor was only showing "lite" then picked-up and hovered around 10-11mph. So I wasn't expecting much. But 5-6pm turned out to be a good session. No lulls. And smooth.

Why was 3rd so good?

Low expectations? Ebb tide?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:38 am

o good , here we all come
can ya save me some parking?
charlie

Kies

Post by Kies » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:31 pm

They were dumping 3 hours before. It's known as "Purging" they bilge the excess waste into the bay in even intervals, quarterly as a conservation method. The waste during these times has a better chance of being broken down naturally. That's why those in the know stay away during those 4 dumping days each year

What happens when the jet fuel mixes with feces and waste water is known as "Vapor Thermals".

You might have noticed that the water was warmer than normal.

The extreme change in water temp creates a localized thermal that can kick the winds up slightly, especially during hot days on land.

You hit it just right. Enjoy the wind.

try not to injest too much water and drink a lot of fluids between sessions and you'll be fine. (tetnous shots should be updated if you have any open sores)

Z4Kiter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Z4Kiter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:51 pm

What really helps is during my wipeouts the water goes straight up my nose - so I don't have to taste it.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:52 pm

Kies wrote:They were dumping 3 hours before. It's known as "Purging" they bilge the excess waste into the bay in even intervals, quarterly as a conservation method. The waste during these times has a better chance of being broken down naturally. That's why those in the know stay away during those 4 dumping days each year

What happens when the jet fuel mixes with feces and waste water is known as "Vapor Thermals".

The extreme change in water temp creates a localized thermal that can kick the winds up slightly, especially during hot days on land.

try not to injest too much water and drink a lot of fluids between sessions and you'll be fine. (tetnous shots should be updated if you have any open sores)
Nominated - best post ever!
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:04 pm

KillaHz wrote:
Kies wrote:They were dumping 3 hours before. It's known as "Purging" they bilge the excess waste into the bay in even intervals, quarterly as a conservation method. The waste during these times has a better chance of being broken down naturally. That's why those in the know stay away during those 4 dumping days each year

Nominated - best post ever!
Second!!!
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:48 pm

Yeah, that's a good one.

kite-o-matik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kite-o-matik » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:04 am

Uh... are the "purging" dates posted somewhere?

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:01 pm

:mrgreen: HA HA HA. Thanks Gabe

I thought you might like that one.

bored at work.
Bilge and purge sounded good.

ALSO,
Ollie, not sure, but I tried logging in and must be under a name I can't remember using. I have been logging on as Kies, but I am not listed that way. Should I re-rgister, or am in there? I signed up a long time ago
-Rich Kiesel

wavie_gravie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wavie_gravie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:05 pm

Never Mind Ollie
Figured it out. I was under Wavie_gravie
and figured out password
Peace
Kies