Upwind from 3rd to Coyote Point

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tocayo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tocayo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Has anyone trekked all the way upwind from 3rd upper launch up to coyote point and back? I made it just a bit over half way today and saw some others way up there as well. How long did it take and was there any wind shadow as you approach the harbor?

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Upwind from 3rd to Coyote Point

Post by kitewing » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:48 pm

I've done it, not exactly sure how long... maybe an hour or more? And yes, major wind shadow behind the harbor. You'll feel it as you get closer, and need to ride in the channel. It's a lot of work, but the downwinder at the end is so sweet...
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Yes, a few times. Slightly less than an hour. Picking the right tide conditions is key.

tocayo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tocayo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:28 pm

I figured it would take around an hour. A buddy and I are looking at making the trip this weekend

@kitet - im assuming you mean don't go in low tide? I know there are a bunch of rocks up once you get around the harbor.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:00 am

If I get to 3rd early enough that's usually where I head - You get some playful windswell rollers hitting the point upwind around the corner near the bluff that are are a lot of fun. There is also a flat water playpen up there near the harbor

The quickest way is to just do 2-3 long tacks into the channel. The harbor area isnt too bad - but wind nearshore just upwind of seal point can be flukey

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 am

Yeah. I've done it on really strong days. It's one of the easier ways to manage being overpowered. Go upwind hard. Can't remember how long it took. The swell off the point somehow seems better than the swell in the channel off 3rd.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:53 am

tocayo wrote:@kitet - im assuming you mean don't go in low tide? I know there are a bunch of rocks up once you get around the harbor.
He means: do it when it's max ebb, it helps. :wink:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

tocayo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tocayo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks for the tips! If 3rd is the place to be again this weekend I will be making the trip! See you out there

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm

you probably saw me. Myself and a couple others decided to do a downwinder from coyote yesterday because of the low tide. Easy to park one car up there and them pick it up later. When the tide is really low there is a large "sandy" area to launch from at coyote out of the range of the power lines.

tocayo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tocayo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Yea...it was 3 guys I saw up there. I think one of them had a yellow RRD if i remember correctly. I haven't been up to coyote point to see the sand bar during low tide...just the beach right next to the powerlines. Its a shame that the launch next to boardsports is so sketchy!