Dumb mistake

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Dumb mistake

Post by jjm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:36 pm

For those who take Highway 37 to get to the Delta, check the Infineon Raceway schedule to make sure there are no events happening.

http://www.infineonraceway.com/schedule/track%5Fcalendar/

On a positive note, driving over instead of through Vallejo is so nice!

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:29 am

Every time I drive that drive, I look at the Napa River just upriver of the bridge at Mare Island. It's usually windy, and there's a good wide stretch there. I keep expecting to see someone kiting there. I guess there's no good launch site.

Casey

Napa River Kiteboarding

Post by Casey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:27 pm

I sail out of Vallejo for the Wed. night beer can sailboat races and always look at that same strech of water for kiteboarding. It usually blows upper teens to low twenties right there every day with butter flat water. All we need to do is find a launch and it will save us 35 min. of driving to the delta.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:51 pm

The frontage road goes right along that stretch, although it's far enough away from the water to be safe. Seems like it would be a side-onshore wind. You'd have to do some exploring in the tules there to find a good spot, but it might be possible.

Unless there's a park or something further upriver in Vallejo. Anyone know?

That's about 45 minutes from me, so only 15 minutes less than SI, but it would be a lot less crowded on the weekends...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:28 pm

I know guys kite in Benica. They launch out of 9th ave. They have a local crew of kiters and windsurfers. I tried it, but liked sherman better.
Dewey

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 pm

Dewey,
This spot is totally different. It's on the Napa River, not on the bay or strait. It's flat water like the lake at SI, but it's windy as hell. There are tules everywhere you look.

It has major potential. It's about 5 miles west of the intersection of 37 and American Canyon road, just across from Mare Island. One of these days I'm going to bushwack my way through the tules to the river and check it out.