Snowkite bindings

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Snowkite bindings

Post by jjm » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:15 pm

Kind of early for this but I need to replace my bindings/boots. I'm currently using step in bindings (old switch) but am thinking of switching to standard boots / bindings (at least for the slopes).

How difficult is it to get into newer bindings w/ nice ratcheting systems with a kite overhead?

If standard bindings are not advised for snowkiting, any recommendations for stepin systems that are kite friendly (don't clog, no resetting, stomp-and-go).

Has anyone used Flows? Any comments?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: Snowkite bindings

Post by KillaHz » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:24 pm

jjm wrote:Kind of early for this but I need to replace my bindings/boots. I'm currently using step in bindings (old switch) but am thinking of switching to standard boots / bindings (at least for the slopes).

How difficult is it to get into newer bindings w/ nice ratcheting systems with a kite overhead?

If standard bindings are not advised for snowkiting, any recommendations for stepin systems that are kite friendly (don't clog, no resetting, stomp-and-go).

Has anyone used Flows? Any comments?
Flows are sweet for snowkiting and regular riding. Ratchets can be used...I use them for now. You just want to launch your kite once you are in your bindings. Hard to get into while flying the kite in mountain air.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey Gabe, was that you kiting on Sunday in Tahoe about 4:00PM? It did not seem like there was any wind but I could not tell if it was windyier where you were?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:05 pm

Josh,
I have used flows for years. The die hard boarder types don't like them because you can't really crank them down on your foot like straps. I am no pro so they work fine for me. I think they would be a decent choice if you were to ride the slopes and kite also.

Blair

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:40 am

pipedragon wrote:Hey Gabe, was that you kiting on Sunday in Tahoe about 4:00PM? It did not seem like there was any wind but I could not tell if it was windyier where you were?
No, I was at Sherman. The wind is typically a lot steadier 1/2 a mile out into the lake so often we will body drag out to it. That may explain why you saw someone out there but didn't feel wind at the beach.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:18 pm

KillaHz wrote:
pipedragon wrote:Hey Gabe, was that you kiting on Sunday in Tahoe about 4:00PM? It did not seem like there was any wind but I could not tell if it was windyier where you were?
No, I was at Sherman. The wind is typically a lot steadier 1/2 a mile out into the lake so often we will body drag out to it. That may explain why you saw someone out there but didn't feel wind at the beach.
Thanx for the info. I may join you or whoever sometime I am up there next. I did not think to bring my gear but the kiter I saw looked pretty powered.

xtremewinds

Re: Snowkite bindings

Post by xtremewinds » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:56 pm

Hi im using now the flow bindings after cup of years using the step in and realy are the best for snowkiting, i use too for snowboarding and fell good but for snowkiting are the best, those days when the wind is not very hard who is better first fly the kite and after put the board you put in a minute more easy than step inn, some times i start ride with the bindings free and riding i secure them.
I have a snowkite school in Ushuaia www.xtremewinds.com and all the people whi use this bindings love it. And another vantage is you can use conmun boots, then if you can change your boots can use the same bindings.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:07 pm

Anyone seen or tried the K2 Cinch? Seems to be best of both worlds -- flow like backing with regular straps on the top for easier fine tuning...

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:18 am

Hey! No talking about snowkiting yet! It's still August (well, for one more day at least). Some of us are still in denial and think it's still July.

But seriously, you just need to get a bigger kite. I was out on Sunday for like four hours on my 17 -- and I was way overpowered at least part of the time.

But this north wind today is really not a good sign...

shmed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmed » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:40 pm

I own K2 Cinches on my snowboard. I've never snowkited (and am frankly not a great snowboarder), but I would imagine that Gabe's comments about launching the kite when you are in the bindings apply here. I really like the bindings and think they do combine great aspects as you say, but I still have to snap the backing in place after putting my foot in (and sometimes adjust the straps), which I imagine would be tough if you are handling a kite. But based on the way the flows look (never used them), I would imagine the K2s would be at least in the same ballpark once you get the hang of it.