A Wooden Spear Sticking Out of the Water---What To Do?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nick_80044
Regular
Regular
A Wooden Spear Sticking Out of the Water---What To Do?

Post by nick_80044 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

I was riding at Berkeley yesterday--it was low tide--and noticed what looked like a 4x4 or slightly larger poking up a few inches above the surface. It was angled towards the shore and not moving. When the tide rose a little, it would be just barely hidden. My instant reaction was "I'd hate to run across or into that thing, or even worse, fall on it."

It was about 40 or 50 feet from shore so not exactly in the busiest traffic line, but I think it's still a concern, especially since some people ride closer to shore in lighter wind. And sometimes kites go down in that area.

Does anyone else worry about these things? Do we all just go on riding, thinking the odds are pretty low we'll have an incident with an underwater obstacle?

If action should be taken---what?

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: A Wooden Spear Sticking Out of the Water---What To Do?

Post by WindMuch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Vinnie,

Not that I think something shouldn't be done about any dangerous obstacle, but I'd bet we'd all be surprised to know how much stuff is actually under us when we ride.

Is this something you could see (maybe with binoculars) at low tide? If so, who's got a chainsaw and a kayak? Hmmm... something about that combination sounds dangerous too...

Kirk out

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:13 pm

I didn't see it today and the tide was pretty low. I work in the area and I'm down there just about every day eating my lunch. I'll try to scope it out next low tide. Maybe we can put a bouy on it? Probably would't last though...

Yea, I imagine there's a lot of nasty shiznit out there oo**

-SPD XZSD

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm

If it's not too far out and you saw it on a low tide, maybe it's possible to trudge/wade/swim out in a wetsuit with a handsaw and trim it down... can you describe better where it is?

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Since I live right by the water and jog on the Bay Trail a lot I've seen the Berkeley shoreline quite a bit at very low tides. There has been surprisingly little that has been concerning--we don't have seem to have those leftover pier remnants that are more common at Alameda or further north by the Racetrack. This caught my eye because of its rarity. Of course, there might be lots of other stuff that lurks just beneath the surface at low tide. We don't get quite the huge expanse of beach as, say, Alameda.

I'll try to go out within the next few days at low tide to see if I can pinpoint it.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:10 am

If there's a 'covert stealth operation' to eradicate said hazard, count me in...

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 am

Good looking out for everybody Vinnie - 4:05p low tide Saturday...

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 pm

with out seeing what it is ..
you think about just stopping and trying to pull it out?
if its not the old snoopy red Barron piling over by frontage road beach
its most likely new

and any stuff will most likely be inside where the wind is soft and the big nasty hole lives
stuff can get dragged off the shore and or people build juNk that the tied grabs
so it may just be removed

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 pm

I was down there agIn today. I think I see what he is talking about. I was going to pull it out when I spotted a North bar laying on the beach. I had to get back to work so I think I forgot to pull the spear out. I will drop by there again about 2.30 (today 04 Mar 13) to pull it out. If this is your bar. you can meet me there otherwise I will be back in town on Sunday. I will post on Lost and Found or call me 510-774-7250.

-Steve

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm

I think I removed the stick. I threw it for a dog. He was very happy :animals-dogrun: