One Control Bar To Rule Them All

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Re: One Control Bar To Rule Them All

Post by Yoda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Aloha wrote:
gtilde wrote:For 4line is it 1 or 2 line flagging?
This is a good point and I don't think it was previously mentioned - but is extremely important to bring up. 1 / 2 line flagging is a kite-design attribute and something you should know before you pair a 4-line bar to a 4-line kite.

i.e. a kite designed to flag on it's back to 2-front lines run on a 1-line flagging bar may pinwheel on you, and vice versa you may be dealing with a kite that's not fulling depowering for you with safety punched
VERY GOOD POINT Aloha!!!
I know that these kites brands use C-bars designed flag onto the front two lines only (aka mini 5th)...
Cabrinha
Core
F-One
Mutiny
North
Airush 2012 (their 2013 bar is now a single line safety).

Do NOT use these bars with kites that are NOT engineered to flag onto the front two lines or as Aloha stated, you may NOT be fully depowered after punching out!!!
Note: So far I've found no issues with the opposite - using a kite that's engineered to flag-out onto the front two lines combined with a C-bar that uses a single-line safety system. ;-)

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:28 pm

That is a great list - to add to that from the models I've flown (and I still think each is running the same C-Bar styles to this day)

RRD: 2-line Flag
Caution: 2-line Flag
Naish: 1-Line Flag

You'll know because the flag line you're hooking your safety into will either run the entire length up to the kite (in 1-line system) or it won't (2-line system)

Yodes sometimes the latter you're describing above (2-line kite + 1-line bar) I've seen cause a pinwheeling kite sleigh ride in super OP conditions

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Aloha wrote:Yodes sometimes the latter you're describing above (2-line kite + 1-line bar) I've seen cause a pinwheeling kite sleigh ride in super OP conditions
luckily I've not encountered that issue (yet). You got me wondering though... Airush changed to a single-line safety on their 2013 Smartbar, but their 2013 & older kites are all still engineered for a two-line safety. I have a 6m Wave and now you got me a little nervous.
I wonder what Airush experienced when testing the new kites with their updated bar. :-k

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:02 pm

after +13 years of kiting I never had a bar which failed on me. Only lines which would not hold up. I NEVER had a bar matching the kite. I even match the bar components I like to get what fits my needs. Typically I would go for a North QR, a 5th line and whatever bar I have and an over the bar depower.

Or to simplify it for everyone: Its a stick with a hole in it, ok 2 lines are attached as well and one additional line is going through the middle ...

Come on guys, how can you get so anal on bars ????

G

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm anal about three things... My control bar, my harness, & my footstraps. These are the only pieces of gear that make contact with my body. Fit, function, & comfort are paramount when it comes to these pieces of gear. I think that's why so many people are "anal" as you put it.
Btw... The way you sumed up a control bar had me LOL! ;-)

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 am

I put some miles on this 2008 bar (replaced the lines ~3 times):
Attachments
bar.jpg
bar.jpg (57.7KiB)Viewed 6736 times

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

"SOME" miles? probably over 500 DAYS :)
steve

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am

Looks like it should last another few seasons too.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm

knyfe wrote:after +13 years of kiting I never had a bar which failed on me. Only lines which would not hold up. I NEVER had a bar matching the kite. I even match the bar components I like to get what fits my needs. Typically I would go for a North QR, a 5th line and whatever bar I have and an over the bar depower.

Or to simplify it for everyone: Its a stick with a hole in it, ok 2 lines are attached as well and one additional line is going through the middle ...

Come on guys, how can you get so anal on bars ????

G

Yup!! I keep saying the same thing. Bars are not magic wands. Love the stick with a hole analogy. Dead on!

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 pm

jrg wrote:I put some miles on this 2008 bar (replaced the lines ~3 times):
Yep. That's how my main one looks. Still going strong.