Was it a........?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
friggin old guy
Regular
Regular
Was it a........?

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:49 pm

So a few weeks ago I'm out at a spot north of Santa Cruz, miss my jibe on the outside. I drag over to my board, and......as I'm setting up to put my feet up, a log bumps up against the back of my thighs and butt.

I thought to myself.....huh, that's weird.....why would a log be 2 ft under the surface, and how come I didn't feel the log as I dragged over here?

I didn't reach back to feel it. It just felt plenty solid, and it didn't move.

So I'm wondering.....was it a shark? And if it was, what the hell is wrong with me that I didn't freak out and go in? Ok, the waves were pretty good. But still......

I think it was a log. But was it......?

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Was it a........?

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Yep it was a log for sure. And don't anyone tell me otherwise. Just a log.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm

At least one person I told this story to put his fingers in his ears and said he couldn't hear me......said person tends to frequent sharky spots.

I hear the logs migrate out of the area this time of year........at least most of them.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

wow...could be a seal or maybe dolphins? Or maybe just a log. If it's what most of us fear it was and won't name, well you're either pretty damn lucky or really not someone to mess with and even "they" know it!

btahoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by btahoe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Friend was bumped by something this year near an old cement factory. He was on a SUP; guessing that it was that same log.

He decided to paddle it in.

I bet they are near Hawaii hanging out laughing about their encounters with rubber seals and plastic turtles.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

friggin old guy wrote:At least one person I told this story to put his fingers in his ears and said he couldn't hear me......said person tends to frequent sharky spots.
La... la... la... la... I can't hear you...

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Was it a........?

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Actually, its not super uncommon to get brushed by seals. They are pretty curious and playful. I played tag with one today at Front Yards. I've had them brush my legs while sitting in the lineup too.

At least that's the story I'm going with... :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gtilde
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gtilde » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:01 pm

It was an old pier piling. They tend to 'sink' as they get waterlogged while travelling around the bay, eventually wandering the coast, either sinking or ending up at on as part of of a sculpure along east bay or ob. Trust me, I've seen 'em.
:::)

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Waren't no seal, that's for damn sure. I'll buy that it might have been a submerged log or piling. You guys can all believe that if it makes you feel better.

I kind of like the theory that it was a shark and it just decided to not mess with me for some reason, and that the fact I didn't freak out and lay my own logs in the water helped it be mellow. It might have not acted like Flipper and kind of nudged me towards my board if I'd pooped on its nose.

Stating again for emphasis......I have no idea why I didn't freak out. Knee-jerk pull-back is how I normally react when something touches me in the water.

So really it must have been just a log. I think.

SFPete
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by SFPete » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 pm

"Bumps up against the back of my thighs"? I don't think that was a log. When they get waterlogged they won't budge an inch in the water. I ran over one in an 18' grady white in the san juan islands going about 20 kn. It stopped us dead in the water, on a dime. They don't just bob around. I think whatever you touched was alive.