Spotted in the East Bay - Kite with banner near Ashby & I-80

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
AJr
Contributor
Contributor
Spotted in the East Bay - Kite with banner near Ashby & I-80

Post by AJr » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm

I snapped a pic of this while getting onto I-80 East from Ashby on Friday at 4pm-ish.

This is about half a mile south of Berkeley Marina, just near the point at the end of Ashby (I forget the name). At first I thought he might be in trouble and have a torn panel on his kite, but on closer look as I drove past, I noticed he had a banner with some sort of message attached to his fifth line (looked like a North setup).

I've ridden at this spot once before, as I mostly ride at Race Track, and the proximity to the frontage road and freeway freak me out. This guy couldn't have been more than 200 yards from the shore and looked like he might have been working his kite hard / not riding very much, though I could not see him in the water from my vantage point. I've never seen a banner of this size attached to kite lines before, I imagine that it kills the power of the kite. And to try this with a frontage road and major freeway down wind...

What gives???
Attachments
photo (1).jpg
photo (1).jpg (478.84KiB)Viewed 1030 times
Rock and roll!!!

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Spotted in the East Bay - Kite with banner near Ashby &

Post by dealbst » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 am

That is Pt. Emery or the "Berkeley" launch site. Yea, not sure what's up with the banner...

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Spotted in the East Bay - Kite with banner near Ashby &

Post by Aloha » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 am

GetPaid2Kite - Prime I-80 stuck in traffic adspace right there