Need Info: Lower Bay Area Kiting

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Vitanonest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vitanonest » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:04 am

Moving back to Cali from Salt Lake City and will be down there this week looking for places to live. Ironically, it wasn't until I moved here, to Utah, that I picked up kiteboarding.

As such, I don't know the area with a kiter's perspective. I searched around the forum but am still a little lost.

As I'll be in the Santa Cruz/San Jose area which launch sites are going to be best for me and what wind directions am I looking for in these areas? As I'm still new to ocean riding I'd like something with a slight onshore or solid sideshore wind. I do have about 40 days on the snow and about 25 on water (the lake riding is actually superb here), so don't worry too much about my kiting skills when suggesting a spot.

Also, what kite sizes do you mostly use down there? Here we use mostly 12m to 17m...just curious as to which kite to bring as I may only be able to fit one of them.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Need Info: Lower Bay Area Kiting

Post by WindMuch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:21 am

From Santa Cruz, Waddell is going to be your closest spot. It's a side-shore wave spot:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=23&t=793

Flatwater wise, 3rd Avenue is probably your next best bet:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=23&t=832

Enjoy!

Kirk out

Vitanonest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vitanonest » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks Kirk,

Waddell looks like a great spot. What wind directions am I looking for here?

3rd Avenue, according to your site map, is explained as stinky and a little sketchy on the launch, I may need to go scout that one out.

Looking in your for sale section I don't really see anything bigger than a 12m. I'm guessing my 12m will serve me just fine for this trip?

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am

WindMuch wrote:From Santa Cruz, Waddell is going to be your closest spot. It's a side-shore wave spot:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=23&t=793

Flatwater wise, 3rd Avenue is probably your next best bet:
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=23&t=832

Enjoy!

Kirk out

:-) Yep. Waddell is definitely the closest spot to Santa Cruz. Nothing closer than that... ;-)

But...if you do find yourself down her in SC, look me up and I'll give you the low down on a number of other local spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 am

Waddell works on West or North West winds, as do most of the local spots here in California. Some spots with the right exposure also blow on South winds (but typically only during the winter).

Depending on where you kite, a 12 will be most people's largest kite. For the coast you'll want kites significantly smaller, like a 5 or a 6 and an 8/9.

Definitely check out the scene at 3rd Ave (or any spot) before you launch there. Third has a helpful crew - go look for Sonny at the lower launch (his truck has "SSWORDS" license plates) - he'll give you some good advice.

Kirk out

Vitanonest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vitanonest » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks for the input!

It's a good thing I didn't throw down a couple grand on that new 17m Zephyr I've been eyeballing! I'll have to start shopping for a 9 and a 5/6m to complete my quiver for different conditions.

I'll definitely hit you up sc-surfer, I fly down tomorrow.

Vitanonest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vitanonest » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:31 pm

My buddy was driving down there today and was able to take my gear with him....our only kite shop here closed at 4 and I wasn't able to to pickup a "deceiver bag" to fly my stuff back.

Anyone know of a kite shop down there that sells deceiver bags? I'd prefer the nicer golf style bags made for kiteboards.

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Vitanonest, I'd call up boardsportsschool (boardsportsschool.com). They'll probably have what you need.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 pm

just shoot me a pm whenever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vitanonest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vitanonest » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, I made it and so did my gear. Unfortunately I've been so busy with work and finding a place to live I haven't yet had time to get out. I did however have a chance to scout out Scott's creek and Waddell. Both look great and I'd wished I brought my gear, but the wind was rather light anyway.

I'll be heading out there tomorrow if anyone else will be the I'd love to meet up...I don't fly back into later Monday do what else is a guy gonna do with no family in town? Let's just hope I remember how to stay up wind, the guys back home always say it takes them a minute because snow is so easy. You're more than welcome to come laugh at me.

Michael