Are there still ways to avoid airline fees?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Are there still ways to avoid airline fees?

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Red_Element_Andy wrote:I'm in the same boat. Unless they are cutting the bag open the kites should be okay, but I do worry about my NHP getting dinged.

To assuage my fears I've cut up a pool noodle to create foam hot dog buns that I put around each board tip.
Oh man, that's brilliant. I've just been using my wetsuits and impact vests as buffers, but I like that idea.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Red_Element_Andy wrote:
dontfeedthenerd wrote:
etxxz wrote:
My biggest fear is one day TSA is going to catch a zipper on my kite and rip the canopy. I've seen how they open and close those bags =* SO do what you can to protect them.

So what I do is stick my kites in those Dakine Compression sacks before stuffing them into the golf bag. That's usually enough peace of mind for me.

TBH, I worry more about my board than anything else. I have this custom Carbon Fiber board from Nomad. I mean I love this thing. I'd fight Whitey for it. Kites can squish, but if they crack my board... !$*(
I'm in the same boat. Unless they are cutting the bag open the kites should be okay, but I do worry about my NHP getting dinged.

To assuage my fears I've cut up a pool noodle to create foam hot dog buns that I put around each board tip.

Easier and cheaper...grey pipe insulation. It's already split down the middle. Costs almost nothing and comes in a few sizes/thicknesses. Check Home Cheapo, or your local hardware store.

FWIW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Kirk there is something I think you're ready to know:

You will be fine with just renting a board once you reach your destination

Your board isn't magic, it never was. It was something that I told you so you'd believe

The real magic was in you all along

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 am

sc-surfer wrote:
Red_Element_Andy wrote:
dontfeedthenerd wrote:
So what I do is stick my kites in those Dakine Compression sacks before stuffing them into the golf bag. That's usually enough peace of mind for me.

TBH, I worry more about my board than anything else. I have this custom Carbon Fiber board from Nomad. I mean I love this thing. I'd fight Whitey for it. Kites can squish, but if they crack my board... !$*(
I'm in the same boat. Unless they are cutting the bag open the kites should be okay, but I do worry about my NHP getting dinged.

Easier and cheaper...grey pipe insulation. It's already split down the middle. Costs almost nothing and comes in a few sizes/thicknesses. Check Home Cheapo, or your local hardware store.

FWIW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:49 am

My dad has been rolling with a hockey bag. Apparently no problem at all... US HOCKEY.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

kalyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kalyp » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Another thing that works pretty well are snowboard bags. I can fit my caution 5'5 (surfboard) in one with one kite. Those fly for free on most airlines, too. Flew to/from Baja twice already without anybody asking me why I was bringing a snowboard down there :)

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Mauna Kea

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 am

Snowboard bag is a good idea, and wouldn't require me to purchase anything. Any snow up on Haleakala this year?

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re:

Post by Aloha » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:23 am

jwest21 wrote:Snowboard bag is a good idea, and wouldn't require me to purchase anything. Any snow up on Haleakala this year?
Exxxaaaactly :]

worknot
Joey
Joey

Post by worknot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 am

Dont go to the desk. Check in at the curb and slip the man a 10