2006 Windwing Rapture

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 am

Every Cabrinha, Naish, Slingshot, and North in any store has one of those labels. I called and asked yesterday as I was curious to know the facts.

Also, the shop employee said that is a deciding factor on what brands they carry.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:53 am

I have seen these labels on my kites, but never really knew what they were for..

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:31 am

Anonymous wrote:Every Cabrinha, Naish, Slingshot, and North in any store has one of those labels. I called and asked yesterday as I was curious to know the facts.

Also, the shop employee said that is a deciding factor on what brands they carry.
Ok, now you might want to share with us what you're trying to achieve, although it's clear to me. If you have any doubts or a problem with certain kites, contact or report them directly instead of trying to discredit them here.

You didn't call the shop yesterday and ask anything, because you were posting this from a shop!

Keep it up and I'll be happy to post the name and address of the shop you're posting from.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:10 pm

Good catch Ollie. If it's really against the law to make kites then take the company making illegal kites to court. If your not going to do that then shut up!!
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Why do they care? The patent issue is between the kite company and the patent owner and no one else.

Patent issues are between the patent owners and the manufacturers. The consumer is not liable and it is ridiculous to expect a reasonable person to investigate third party legal aspects of a decision that he makes. If you are driving a car or using a computer there are probably patent issues in the products, because car companies and software companies have endless patents that cross each other. It is impossible to write a small software application today without breaking a lot of patents (or as the common thought is, at least one IBM patent).

Next time you go to the auto dealer ask him if the cars are breaking patents. I think you missed the point on what a patent is and what its purpose is.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:15 pm

Why do these tags exist if they are not important to someone?

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:21 pm

I found this from the www.inflatablekite.com webpage

How can a wing without certificate be made and sold so much less expensively than a legitimate wing?
Obviously, because this manufacturer had no R&D expenses, he does not pay royalties to the holder of the patent, he tends to sell direct, bypassing the network of dealers that give proper after sales service, that advise on the appropriate purchase, how to use it properly and who demonstrate correct use of the safety systems that could save your life.
We undertake to fight relentlessly against illegal copying and copiers.

They seem to think it is pretty important..

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:50 pm

Let's just be honest here about why you're REALLY bringing this issue up, even going to the extent of logging out and posting as "Guest", and relogging back in to post as yourself (which is a pretty pathetic attempt, given the fact that all forums have IP logging capabilities). It's not about patent infringement or the legality of the issue.

You help sell Cabrinha/Slingshot/North products, and your livelihood depends in part on continued store sales. A manufacturer such as Best or WW that uses an online distribution channel and sells kites that are substantially cheaper than at retail threatens your business, and hence your livelihood. Ergo, your sudden concern for patents, when in the past you wouldn't know what a patent was if it hit you in the face.

It's your prerogative to cast doubts about a competitor's products; heck, every business does that. And I am sympathetic to the online vs. retail issue (although internet disintermediation is nothing new... you HAVE bought something from Amazon.com, have you not?).

But, be very careful about comparative advertising, deceptive practices, and spreading misinformation; it has a nasty tendency to bite you in the back. Witness the recent Hellfish debacle, for example. Also, I was very interested in the Crossbow and suggested that a couple of friends who were in the market for new kites check the Crossbow out. However, based on your recent actions, this makes me far less likely in future to recommend/patronize your product or your store.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:22 pm

feixaq wrote:
Let's just be honest here about why you're REALLY bringing this issue up, even going to the extent of logging out and posting as "Guest", and relogging back in to post as yourself (which is a pretty pathetic attempt, given the fact that all forums have IP logging capabilities). It's not about patent infringement or the legality of the issue.

First off, lets be clear about something.... You are accusing me of posting something I did not.

"Every Cabrinha, Naish, Slingshot, and North in any store has one of those labels. I called and asked yesterday as I was curious to know the facts.

Also, the shop employee said that is a deciding factor on what brands they carry."

I DID NOT POST THIS, and do not know who posted, or from where it originated. Appearantly Oliver does...but I don't know. HONESTLY!

I came across this thread because I was interested in the WW rapture 2006 since seeing it while at the Gorge.

Yes, I instruct at a kiteboarding school, but do not work in retail or sales of kites. I teach kiteboarding.

I honestly posted that I was unaware of the purpose of these kite labels depicted on page 2 of this thread. I figuted it had to do with china kites or something....

Today, for the first time ever I went to inflatablekite.com and realized perhaps there is a reason for the certificate on the kite..... and perhaps why some companies can sell for hundreds less than other companies.

Yesterday I stated that the Contra was released with "prospan" and the "span limiter" bridle because I own a Contra, and bought it last year because of this inovative new technology..... I happen to recognize this technology in WW kites...

I DO NOT HATE WINDWING or BEST or whatever... I am just posting a perspective.. That is what forums are for, right?

I buy from amazon.com
I listen to mp3's
I pay attention to bargains...

I EVEN shop at WALMART from time to time.....

FEIXAQ,

"But, be very careful about comparative advertising, deceptive practices, and spreading misinformation; it has a nasty tendency to bite you in the back."

I truely don't think that this comment from you is warrented. I am not trying to do anything but participate in a dialog. Furthermore, I don't think this comment is even directed at the right person.

Andy

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:39 pm

Guys how lame is this. You guys are talking like you own the kite company's and need to defend your business practices. You don't own the company, you did not decide if you were going to pay some French Guy royalties. That has nothing to do with us as a consumer. If WW, Best, RRD, Wipika, or the countless others can make kites, then let them. I'm sure the French Guy has a lawyer, so why can't he stop them? Maybe there is something wrong with the patient. Who know? If you go on HIS website he'll tell you they are doing is illegal. Sounds like he could take them to court, but maybe he can't because they are not doing anything wrong. I don't know. I know nothing about patient law. I'm guessing neither do you guys. I do know if I had a shop I'd be trying to get rid of direct sales.

Andy just because you buy from a shop doesn't mean that you will get good advise. Look at what happened to the guy down south with his new Xbow. If a guy walks into a shop with $1500 and wants a kite what would you do? Maybe tell him that he needs lessons, take the $1500 and send him on his way.....and dude you shop at Walmart?????
Dewey