Trainer tips.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:54 am

I just got my trainer and it is definitely close to a 3m. The length tip to tip is longer than my arm span and the length from leading edge to the back is about a meter.

michaelh
Joey
Joey

Post by michaelh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:09 am

Hey, I'm having trouble with my trainer its a 2m 2line kite. It seems like either it is difficult to fly in gusty (gust then light wind) wind or the lines are either too long, or not the same length.

What are the best windspeeds for this type of kite?
Could the lines be too long? They're at least 75-100'. If so can I shorten them?

Any advice?

I'd sure appreciate it.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:56 am

RobsterCraw wrote:Where do you normally use a trainer kite/what would be a good place?
Since you live in pa, check out the kite field at Shoreline park. It's the first right after you pass the entry kiosk.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:18 am

michaelh wrote:Hey, I'm having trouble with my trainer its a 2m 2line kite. It seems like either it is difficult to fly in gusty (gust then light wind) wind or the lines are either too long, or not the same length.

What are the best windspeeds for this type of kite?
Could the lines be too long? They're at least 75-100'. If so can I shorten them?

Any advice?

I'd sure appreciate it.
How hard is it blowing in the gusts, average? It sounds like the wind is pretty light, and you may need to keep the kite moving, not just parked at the zenith or off to the side. Also, make sure there are no major obstructions upwind of you.

I remember it being really difficult to keep it in the air with those types of conditions. Keep flying it a lot and it will become second nature. You'll learn how to get a feel for when to move it, and how to recover if the kite starts to fall.

Line length should be fine. You may need to give it some input if the wind is light, try stepping back too.

michaelh
Joey
Joey

Post by michaelh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:49 pm

It was pretty windy and then it'd just die for long enough for the kite to fold up and crash to the ground, and then it'd get windy again.

Going to the Berkely Marina kite park to try again today. Feels pretty hot in San Leandro though...air feels stagnant :roll:

michaelh
Joey
Joey

Post by michaelh » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:39 am

Flew kite today. Really cool. Amazed by the power of such a little kite. I can see this business takes quite a bit of finesse. I'll need to work on that.