Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
beej
Joey
Joey
Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Post by beej » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm in the area frequently for work (Either downtown or in Palo Alto). Are there spots that blow late in the area?

Here in Oregon I can get a session in after work at a few different locations. Anything like that in your neck of the woods?

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Re: Best cubicle dweller's kite spots?

Post by nick_80044 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 pm

There were some days last year at the Racetrack (located in Albany) where it kept blowing and blowing and I stopped just because I was done, not because the wind died (which is usually the case). But I don't know how you predict such days, or if it's worth struggling through rush hour traffic to take a chance.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am

Assuming you're in town working out of your Albany, CA branch office of course

stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stompdit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 am

He could be a horse jockey and work at GGF!
Aloha wrote:Assuming you're in town working out of your Albany, CA branch office of course

But ya, you can get sessions after 5pm at spots close to you. If you go to third ave I'd recommend the upper launch if it's gonna be a late sesh.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

3rd ave in summers is the shizle... and the biznit too.

Works till late and that's about as close and consistent as it gets near Palo Alto. For a middle-peninsula cubicle dweller such as myself it works great. Get there, and LATE cause our bosses suck, to avoid everyone. Bad thing is that 3rd it likes to shut down at sunset out of nowhere. Earlier can get crowded, but its totally funny to watch people run around in circles like ants. On zoo days, you just tack way north.

Everything else is too far to get there on time and score some *bg&
Wish i'd live closer to the city, or worked in the city. I'd go to crissy all the time IUYT

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:45 pm

beej wrote:I'm in the area frequently for work (Either downtown or in Palo Alto). Are there spots that blow late in the area?

Here in Oregon I can get a session in after work at a few different locations. Anything like that in your neck of the woods?
When you said "downtown," I assumed you meant San Francisco.

The Racetrack is about 12 miles from the Financial District. Takes 17 minutes according to Google Maps. Of course, this is probably with no traffic. In traffic, the time will increase substantially. But that will be true no matter where you head to from downtown.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 am

nick_80044 wrote:
beej wrote:I'm in the area frequently for work (Either downtown or in Palo Alto). Are there spots that blow late in the area?

When you said "downtown," I assumed you meant San Francisco.

The Racetrack is about 12 miles from the Financial District. Takes 17 minutes according to Google Maps. Of course, this is probably with no traffic. In traffic, the time will increase substantially. But that will be true no matter where you head to from downtown.
Well, he's saying "later" in the day, so I would imagine he's thinking 4/5ish.
Bay bridge is a bi**h to cross around that time.
3rd ave is ok with the usual "slowing down" right before you get to the exit.
I would say coyote so you shave a few minutes off, but that means you're ok with paying for parking. However, good thing is, if you're there during the summer, the boardsports shack will be open to help you out. |}{+
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

beej
Joey
Joey

Post by beej » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 am

Yep, downtown San Francisco.

Thanks for all the good info. In the city today actually, but I'm being told it's not going to blow anywhere. :-(

sailfree
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sailfree » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 am

from downtown SF -> Crissy Field beach right next to Exploratorium.
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... =1&t=11619

from Palo Alto -> 3rd ave (next Mariners golf course) or Coyote Point for flat water, and Half Moon Bay for waves.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 am

Crissy I think is where most of us who work downtown kite after work

^But then again I only know one other person who kites that works in downtown SF (but most of the weekday crew at Crissy seem to at least live in SF)

Whenever there is potential westerly on tap Crissy might have a chance - don't write it off for this afternoon just yet