Where to go to practice?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
beej
Joey
Joey
Re: Where to go to practice?

Post by beej » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks!

denniskempin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by denniskempin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

Last Wed was a little to extreme for me, so I did not go. I have only been kiting in <14kts, so I did not want to go crazy on a 25kts day even though it's still in the wind range of my kite. Baby steps!

But today looks great! I will try to get to Alameda in the early afternoon around 1-2 pm and see if someone is there.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 pm

The original post here was from someone trying to get some advice and benefit from the experience of others. It seems many people have been helpful, but one user sent this guy a PM basically putting him down and telling him to find another beach. WTF? I found out about it because when a user sends a PM, this is included in the email notification:

"If this message is spam, contains abusive or other
> comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at
> the following address:
> info@bayareakiteboarding.com"

So, just as an FYI, he fwd'ed to me.

I'm feeling charitable so I won't call him out publicly, but that's pretty lame. It seems to me you are:

1. Not helpful
2. Incapable of remembering that they were new in this sport at one time as well
3. A jerk

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Wow, that sucks to hear.

IMHO, the folks who are asking for help/advice here on the forums are the folks who should get the MOST help/encouragement from the community. People looking for info here have done some research and are looking in the right place; they are being conscientious. It's the folks who go out on someone else's equipment with no training who make a mess, not ppl who come here honestly looking for useful info!

to the newbies here: Welcome. Most everyone I've met in the kiting community here in SF is awesome. Like everywhere, there are some clunkers. I learned pretty much everything I know on kiting from local lessons, talking to people on the beach, reading this forum (oh yeah and a little youtube). 95% of those experiences were great. I hope you experience the same.

DW

beej
Joey
Joey

Post by beej » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 pm

What are the hours that the wind blows at 3rd Ave?

What wind speeds? 15-25?

Thanks!

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Beej,

Once wind season picks up, 3rd Ave seems to rely on the thermal gradient that the bay generates.

Hours, usually it doesn't turn on until the inland areas get much warmer (after lunchtime), and wind speeds do tend to vary between 15-20mph (what we had this last Saturday) and 25+ once the season starts rolling.

I'm 135lbs riding on a 131 twin tip and I can get away with a 9m and a 12m for 3rd, if that helps.