Recommendations for Jericoacoara

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
windrider99
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Recommendations for Jericoacoara

Post by windrider99 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi, I've been in Brazil a month, and i love it here. Mostly I've kited around Cumbuco and Paracuru. I brought a 9 and an 11, and it's worked out well. Yeah, a few times I had to depower my 9 and was still lit, but If you've got an 8 you should be fine. Admittedly it's supposed to get windier as you go north toward Jeri. But I don't think you'll necessarily need a 6, though maybe there'll be days when you wish you had one. The windiest time of day is around noon. If i'm riding after 2:30pm I'll often break out the 11. So another option is to kite earlier or later in the day. But keep in mind that I'm 185 lbs, intermediate kiter (i was advanced beginner when i got here), and i ride a twin tip. I also found out the weight limit to Brazil is 70 lbs per bag (at least on Delta). Haven't seen any camping but the pousadas are cheap. $30/night should not be hard to find. It's kiting heaven here, but don't leave your pump lying around in the open, mine got stolen yesterday...

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm

What a journey! I am finally back in the bay and excited for kiting to start back up with the confidence to ride spots like Crissy, Wadell and Half Moon Bay(my new home) which I could not have before.

This trip was amazing. I started in Jeri, went to Combuco, Barra Grande, Ilha do Guajiru Brasil, the delta north of Barra Grande, Taiba, and so many more spots. Barra Grande(flat water) and Taiba(waves) were probably two of my favorite places on the trip. It definitely was not as cheap as I thought it would be but I was travelling alone and got into issues taking money out of ATM's so I had to stay at a few places that only took credit.

General thoughts:
(Note-I was on a budget. didnt follow it but i was :) )

Some things I would make sure to have next time(some things I had and others I wish I had).

Northern Brazilians have never heard of vegitables. Bring suppliments.
Protein powder.
muscle recovery supplements
-I am not a body builder or crazy work out person but my body was starved of a lot of nutrients and needed some essentials.
1 Dry bag backpack-for carry on, downwinders, and day pack
Board bag for kites, bars, harness. Smaller board better for travelling.
Extra hardware
lots of QUALITY sun screen and lots of ZYNC. Enough to apply 2-3 times a day.
-sunscreen is so bad in brazil
Kite repair stuff and extra hardware
Glasses for kiting
Glasses for everywhere else
2 mesh hats- great for riding
2 pairs of board shorts
1 patagonia poly sun shirt to ride in(this was a lifesaver!!!)
1 patagona marina wool blend shirt for everyday use
1 long sleeve breathable shirt for a dinner or an evening breeze
Hammock from rei
Motrin!
Muscle cream- you will want this
Terry towel from rei
Kindle- was a lifesaver..
If you don’t need to bring your computer don’t. Otherwise an ipad or iphone is perfect.
Headlamp- lifesaver

Kite Gear:
I had a 6m, 8m, and 10.5m. I used all of my kites. My 10.5m had the least use. Depending on where you go I would probably only take 2 kites. In the North- 9m and a 6m. If South by Combuco a 12m and a 9m.

Travelling: this is the worst part about brazil. I was solo so I met people and we shared private cars. Don’t plan on the bus system, it is so bad.
Rent a vehicle if you are with a few people and have limited time.

Take aways:
-Go light as possible
-I met 4 Americans in 2.5 months, other than a bunch of pros in Combuco(scene..) It was crazy and Euros are funny. you may want to bring a speedo and tell people you are canadian so you dont have to hear about how our culture is this and Bush that, and foreign policy this and blah blah blah.
- I met some amazing people and made life ling friends from all over the world
-Jeri was not my cup of tea. Very touristy. Nice place but meah…
-If you need to get your kite repaired do research and make sure to look at the work they have done. I had to get a repair refixed in Taiba after a bad repair in Jeri.
-Negotiate everything!

NEXT TIME
-I plan on doing a downwinder from Combuco to Barra Grande next thanksgiving time. Brazil is a perfect place to do this. 9m and a dry bag-good to go. People pay thousands of dollars to do this type of trip but with a little planning, google earth print outs laminated, and some common sense, this is the way to see the kite coast of Brazil.

I left out a lot so if you have any question on where to stay, local knowledge and suggestions let me know.

See you on the water!

Bryan

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm

What a journey! I am finally back in the bay and excited for kiting to start back up with the confidence to ride spots like Crissy, Wadell and Half Moon Bay(my new home) which I could not have before.

This trip was amazing. I started in Jeri, went to Combuco, Barra Grande, Ilha do Guajiru Brasil, the delta north of Barra Grande, Taiba, and so many more spots. Barra Grande(flat water) and Taiba(waves) were probably two of my favorite places on the trip. It definitely was not as cheap as I thought it would be but I was travelling alone and got into issues taking money out of ATM's so I had to stay at a few places that only took credit.

General thoughts:
(Note-I was on a budget. didnt follow it but i was :) )

Some things I would make sure to have next time(some things I had and others I wish I had).

Northern Brazilians have never heard of vegitables. Bring suppliments.
Protein powder.
muscle recovery supplements
-I am not a body builder or crazy work out person but my body was starved of a lot of nutrients and needed some essentials.
1 Dry bag backpack-for carry on, downwinders, and day pack
Board bag for kites, bars, harness. Smaller board better for travelling.
Extra hardware
lots of QUALITY sun screen and lots of ZYNC. Enough to apply 2-3 times a day.
-sunscreen is so bad in brazil
Kite repair stuff and extra hardware
Glasses for kiting
Glasses for everywhere else
2 mesh hats- great for riding
2 pairs of board shorts
1 patagonia poly sun shirt to ride in(this was a lifesaver!!!)
1 patagona marina wool blend shirt for everyday use
1 long sleeve breathable shirt for a dinner or an evening breeze
Hammock from rei
Motrin!
Muscle cream- you will want this
Terry towel from rei
Kindle- was a lifesaver..
If you don’t need to bring your computer don’t. Otherwise an ipad or iphone is perfect.
Headlamp- lifesaver

Kite Gear:
I had a 6m, 8m, and 10.5m. I used all of my kites. My 10.5m had the least use. Depending on where you go I would probably only take 2 kites. In the North- 9m and a 6m. If South by Combuco a 12m and a 9m.

Travelling: this is the worst part about brazil. I was solo so I met people and we shared private cars. Don’t plan on the bus system, it is so bad.
Rent a vehicle if you are with a few people and have limited time.

Take aways:
-Go light as possible
-I met 4 Americans in 2.5 months, other than a bunch of pros in Combuco(scene..) It was crazy and Euros are funny. you may want to bring a speedo and tell people you are canadian so you dont have to hear about how our culture is this and Bush that, and foreign policy this and blah blah blah.
- I met some amazing people and made life ling friends from all over the world
-Jeri was not my cup of tea. Very touristy. Nice place but meah…
-If you need to get your kite repaired do research and make sure to look at the work they have done. I had to get a repair refixed in Taiba after a bad repair in Jeri.
-Negotiate everything!

NEXT TIME
-I plan on doing a downwinder from Combuco to Barra Grande next thanksgiving time. Brazil is a perfect place to do this. 9m and a dry bag-good to go. People pay thousands of dollars to do this type of trip but with a little planning, google earth print outs laminated, and some common sense, this is the way to see the kite coast of Brazil.

I left out a lot so if you have any question on where to stay, local knowledge and suggestions let me know.

See you on the water!

Bryan

ricawright
Joey
Joey

Post by ricawright » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 am

Hi All,

My first post. :)

I`m from Brazil and lived in SF for 4 months last year. I went to Jeri (Jeriocoacoara) two times last year. It's an incredible place. I travel a lot and Jeri still magic for me.

You will arrive in Fortaleza (Jeri is building an airport but will take 1-2 years) and you can take a 4x4 or a bus. I took the bus (cheaper) from Fretcar (ww.fretcar.com.br). Only this company has a bus to Jeri. The price was around R$ 40 (US$ 20). Remember to take the VIP Bus that go direct to Jeri. The "normal" bus take more time (stop in many cities). You can take it in the airport and check the schedule in the website. I think there are two buses: 9am and 5pm.

I stayed here:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/br/jeri-village.pt.html

and the Best Pousada is Mosquito Blue but you get cheap rooms there

If you want to take the 4x4, the price is R$ 400 by car (US$ 200) - R$ 100 per person and will take 4 hours.

I met an instructor there that organize daily down winds. If you want, I can give her details. She has a "pousada" too. http://www.cumelen.com.br/en/pousada.html

They have updated info in English too.

Let me know if you need more info!