Wave etiquette?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Bulldog
Old School
Old School
Re: Wave etiquette?

Post by Bulldog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

BHP,
It's really not true that surfers don't agree on the rules. At least in Santa Cruz, they are clearly posted at all the best surf spots.

http://seanmichaelreilly.wordpress.com/ ... /untitled/
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm

It seems like the real locals dont post here or care if your in there way ";
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stompdit » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Learn from Kenny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig1ytto6rNg[/video]

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm

amlerner wrote:
zgur wrote:...yes, you have a directional, your kite game has improved...and the coast is going and you need to kite....now take a deep breath....
Haha...that's me.

This whole conversation freaks me out about hitting the waves. It feels like a big step moving into the surf without worrying about locals and pros running me off a wave or slashing my tires. I thought surfers and kiters were chill?
Wave etiquette is a hot topic that comes up pretty regularly and many posters have a lot of valid points, but I have kited Waddell on a TT for years and have never had a problem with anyone, and I don't stay downwind, or way upwind, I stay in the rotation and just have fun. But to have fun and do this on a TT, you need to:

1. Be able to pay close attention to what's going on, the others riders and where they are.
2. Whether you're on a TT or surf, it helps in general to be able to tack out, clear waves without trouble and charge upwind.
3. About coming back in on a tack - I've noticed many guys coming out on the opposing tack who are going upwind can sometimes be a bit rigid and may ignore the upwind kite high, downwind kite low rule and will try to pinch you off. This is normal, I've seen it tons of times, sometimes I'll hold my line and force them down, but it's usually easier (and nicer) to let them have it.
4. Know that if you're on the coast riding a TT and have the skills to be in the rotation, go out, and come in on the sets, where you are on the wave is much less important. On a TT, the riding will be about using waves as ramps on the way out and coming in, freestyling over them and if things go well, landing on the face of them on your way in.
5. Again, keep an eye on the rotation and give people the room they need. Anyone on a surfboard will be mostly following the rotation formula, which is predictable. On a TT, if you're adept, you can have a blast and get away with all kinds of mayhem without really getting in anyone's way, and you will, at most, only be slightly irritating to them, but if done right, nobody will call you on it because you were killing it.
6. Your mileage may vary.

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Bulldog wrote:BHP,
It's really not true that surfers don't agree on the rules. At least in Santa Cruz, they are clearly posted at all the best surf spots.

http://seanmichaelreilly.wordpress.com/ ... /untitled/
yup, looks like you have Pleasure Point all figured out. head out to first peak on a decent day then paddle around the pack without waiting and see if anybody lets you ride one unchallenged simply because you were "first on the wave" like it says on that sign. or try to wait your turn and see if anyone ever invites you to go for one. either way you'll find theres a lot more to it than just what's posted there.

go a little north to Cowles and watch multiple people share every wave regardless of who is first up.

paddle out a little south at The Hook and you'll get yelled at in short order for trying to "paddle around the wave" as the PP sign sugests. the break there is too fast; you have to duck the whitewash or you'll wreak someones ride and certainly hear about it.

each spot is different

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 am

Point break vs. beach break is a big differentiator too - Those at the point are there to surf their endless wave and you better not get in the way of that. It would make sense that this would translate to kitesurfing in a comparison of a spot like the one north of Santa Cruz vs Waddell Creek.. Along with all of the same VARYING degrees of scrutiny placed on right-of-way infringement/interpretation & tolerance level that comes with it

For example on the other end of the spectrum, kiteboarding OB: Who could ever say "hey you snaked my wave!". What Wave? Nature of the spot formulates the session expectations for everyone showing up and also potential for aggro-ville vs. stoke-athon. Per usual, Kyle is on point (pun int.) or maybe even a little behind the peak about to get barreled on this one ^^

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Wave etiquette?

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Been doing this a long time. I surfed the Hook all through the 90s. If ya know what that means, ya know what that means!! Localism sucks and its bulshit. But it has gotten better via dilution.

There are a few factors at work here. Many of the posts above have really good points. Localism for the sake of localism is wrong. Letting riders in the lineup know that they are not playing by the rules established at THAT spot, or letting them know that they are in over their head and should ride elsewhere is not only ok, but a good thing and should be done like adults.

The rules of any given spot will usually be based on the stuff you guys are talking about with local variation based on the setup at the spot. Watch and learn how a spot works.

If you consistently miss a wave or blow it and don't utilize the wave YOU WILL BE BURNED. No one is going to sit and watch you blow wave after wave while everyone watches from the lineup or rotation, even if it is 'your turn'. It's just the way it is. Deal with it. When you can demonstrate that you ride, you will get waves.

Some people are just asshats. Local or not. Learn who they are and don't get sucked in to their drama. They are just hat way because they are unhappy people.

The only absolute rule is that there is no absolute rule. Every spot is a little different, and the rules are created by the locals simply because they ride there the most.

If ya run afoul of another rider, give them the right of way next time you pass on a tack or are hunting for a wave. It'll make for good vibes and let them know you realize you we're wrong. No big deal.

Basically use the golden rule. It works well. Those that don't bum us all out but remember that they are really unhappy people.

Blackbird
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackbird » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm

It's actually really easy.

You feel slighted, do a 50% rotation buffer. Every time the agro feeling offender is heading inbound, you're heading outbound. You'll never see them again. Problem solved. This whole thread has WAYYYYYYY to much info to worry about. Just go get some.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:41 pm

I think Zgur says it best. My rule is there is always another wave and I have work and family to stress about. I am out there to have fun. However there can be some kooks that have a sense of entitlement and as long as I am following the rules "Keep it off my wave!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEbYxEXM2cE[/video]
Last edited by pipedragon on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 pm

TDZ was a c-street today... Holla