Half Moon Bay weekend of 2/15

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tocayo
Contributor
Contributor
Half Moon Bay weekend of 2/15

Post by tocayo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Saw that the forecast looks good for Pillar Point Harbor this weekend. I've never been here before and am new to kiteboarding this year but am strong at riding upwind. I've only kited at La Ventana Mexico (learned here this winter) and Alameda (1 storm day this winter). What should I expect at this spot or should I stay away being new to the sport? I read that its flatwater in the harbor and you just have to watch out for boats. Any advice would be great!

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Half Moon Bay weekend of 2/15

Post by le noun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm

You don't ride the harbor on a northwest wind. Harbor is good for winter storm with south wind.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:00 pm

i'm no Ron Burgundy, but i don't see the harbor working this weekend. you may (may) get some wave riding in but even that looks iffy. i'd bet on more consistent wind and less vicious shore-pound north toward OB or south toward SC over the next few days.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Even though, OB during the winter for somebody who is new to the sport might be a bad idea...
Just my two cents.

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

hey le noun, curious: would you call OB or HMB better for beginners? Seems to me they break fairly similar. Maybe OB get's bigger but it feels like it's more spread out...

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

To me, the best spot to a proper introduction to the ocean is HMB, roosevelt beach, during the spring (northwest wind).
For many reasons:
it's side onshore like waddell, not straight onshore like OB.
It usually is smaller than waddell.
The beach is long, so you can rig up away from anybody else, less traffic.
It's not as popular as waddell, so again, less traffic.
Now for the cons:
it's more of a shore pound break, but on a small day, it's pretty easy to pass, also, if something goes wrong in the waves, well, you're right next to shore.
There is a reason HMB is less popular than waddell: beside the fact that you need to pay $5 for parking, you don't get that many days at HMB. The fog that kicks in at the end of spring shuts down the place, when waddell still get clearings.

Now waddell on a small day is great, but, the beach is smaller, and as a result, a lot of traffic happens in the impact zone. Now you could ride downwind but you would end up in the rip and if something goes wrong, well, good luck swimming back.

Ob is a fantastic spot and one of my favorite.
BUT: waves don't break clean, so it takes a while to be able to "read" them.
The wind is onshore: as a result, a lot of people stay inside and you have a HUGE amount of traffic (try to picture 3rd ave at the upper launch in front of the cove on a weekend but instead of having water downwind of you you have sand and waves breaking upwind of you).
Also, I've noticed beginners tend to keep their kites parked when something goes wrong or to crash it. Again: two bad reflexes at OB.
If you crash it, you only have a few seconds before putting it back in the air before a wave takes it and drag you along with it (hold your breath, everything is gonna be fine).
If you keep it parked and don't move it when you fall in the water: the waves will push you toward your kite, put slacks in the lines and the kite will fall from the sky (then it crashes in the waves, see above).

Now don't get me wrong, waddell and OB are fantastic spots and they blow a lot more often than HMB.
If I had to pick an order of preference for where to bring a friend for his/her first time in the ocean (as long as (s)he is a independent rider, knows how to ride upwind all the time, self rescue, body drag to the board, etc...) then it would be:
1)HMB
2)Waddell
3)OB

Now remember, I'm talking about northwest wind during this whole post.
South stormy wind are a whole different story...

Again, this is just my opinion and I'm sure other riders will be more than happy to talk about this.

Oh, and for any beginners reading this: don't go by yourself out there. keep it safe! :wink:

Fredstem
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fredstem » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

If you can't make the difference between riding the harbor by SW wind and the bay by NW wind, I suggest you stay home this week end...
There is nothing like Kite Surfing...

tocayo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tocayo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks for the advice le noun! I guess I'll be waiting for all the other locations to pick up in the next couple of weeks. Wasn't sure on which wind directions were good at HMB but figured if I showed up and nobody was kiting that it was probably the wrong direction. Thanks for saving me a trip!

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Le noun if you go just past the white water at OB, I hear it's a lot more fun... Just my two nickels : )

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re:

Post by le noun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Rob wrote:Le noun if you go just past the white water at OB, I hear it's a lot more fun... Just my two nickels : )
you would know if you weren't too busy face planting at every tack. }|&#