Cabrete or.....

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident
Cabrete or.....

Post by sc-surfer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi all,

The GF is having surgery on her shoulder tomorrow and then has a month or so to recover before starting work. We usually do Baja this time of year but were there in October so we are looking at other options. She just wants someplace warm and tropical that has at least a little to do (read more to do than La Vantana). I just want to kite every day in some warm waves.
I'm thinking Cabrete but having never been to the Caribbean, I'm open to suggestions. This won't be an exploratory trip or a guys getaway to somewhere off the grid. Just a nice vacation in a hotel.

Looks like I can get airfare to DR for about $1k for the two of us on Jet Blue. I'm open to suggestions on locations, hotels, condo rentals, or whatever.

thanks all....

Monte

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Went there last summer. For me it was a little bit annoying. Wind only broke 20 one or two days out of two weeks. I was on a 14m most of the time.

It's full of beginners so you're fighting with people on the inside a lot.

If the wind is supposed to be strong, you bring your own gear, and you stay on the western end towards kite beach away from the noobs it would be better.

But that part is further away from town so you and or your GF could get bored if you don't have a solid way to get to town.

I did kite 10 days out of 14, but truth be told I came back to an epic 8m day at 3rd and that one day was better than all 10 at Cabarete combined.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Cabrete or.....

Post by sc-surfer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm

tgautier wrote:Went there last summer. For me it was a little bit annoying. Wind only broke 20 one or two days out of two weeks. I was on a 14m most of the time.

It's full of beginners so you're fighting with people on the inside a lot.

If the wind is supposed to be strong, you bring your own gear, and you stay on the western end towards kite beach away from the noobs it would be better.

But that part is further away from town so you and or your GF could get bored if you don't have a solid way to get to town.

I did kite 10 days out of 14, but truth be told I came back to an epic 8m day at 3rd and that one day was better than all 10 at Cabarete combined.

Copy that...appreciate the info. Still open to other solutions...

troybo13
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cabrete or.....

Post by troybo13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Add $1000 to travel and head to Mui Ne, Viet Nam. Former 3rd Ave founding Kite Board brother Trang Tran has a kite school there. http://www.kiteboarding-vietnam.com/WIN ... intro.aspx
Moved from Hilton Head Island, SC to Bay Area
Slingshot Asylum 138
SS RPM 12m, 10m, 8m

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 am

Maui......
Tunces - The driving cat!

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Cabrete or.....

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Tunces wrote:Maui......
Maui was deff on the short list but Jill used to live there and I've been there too. My still go there if nothing else jells.

Monte

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 am

I was on the south shore of Kauai in January and kited five days straight. Nice launch, easy put in, nice waves with an open channel downwind. The take out was a little rough, but do-able.
Tunces - The driving cat!

toddeby
Joey
Joey

Post by toddeby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Just did our Honeymoon in Cabarete...if you go, I'd suggest staying at the Millennium. It's a bit pricey for the area but still a steal for what you get. It's close enough to town that you are within walking distance and it has a kitchen. Hit up Choco Loco across the street for dinner. Definitely bring your own gear but if you need to rent the Laurel Eastman Kite School is also in the hotel and the peeps are super cool.

Kevship
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kevship » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm

I was in Cabarete in June....so cannot comment on winter. I'm sure waves are bigger maybe less wind. I kited 9 out of 10 days on a 10m everyday. Got to pull out the 7m for maybe an hour the windiest evening. Overall a beautiful place to chill with your girlfriend, rent a car and explore. Truly a pretty place. Waterfalls, rain forest, fricking awesome bbq chicken and genuinely cool locals make this a must for any kiter wanting some culture too. Not to mention the place parties hard 7 nights a week - super fun clubs on the beach.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Cabrete or.....

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 pm

toddeby wrote:Just did our Honeymoon in Cabarete...if you go, I'd suggest staying at the Millennium. It's a bit pricey for the area but still a steal for what you get. It's close enough to town that you are within walking distance and it has a kitchen. Hit up Choco Loco across the street for dinner. Definitely bring your own gear but if you need to rent the Laurel Eastman Kite School is also in the hotel and the peeps are super cool.
Hotel looks great. Being in town will likely be more fun for the GF. How was the kiting out front? Only flat water, or waves too? How far is it to somewhere that has waves?

Did you guys rent a car?

Thanks!