Keeping Dry While Kiting in Cold Weather

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm loving some of these windy winter kiting days like last Saturday at Alameda. But as soon as I get that first shock of ice cold water down my wetsuit, I start loving it a lot less.

Any suggestions for one of those hood/neck protector thingies, or other accessory that will keep water from going down the suit? I'm already pretty layered up with an impact vest and Hyperflex jacket, so my priority is something that really, really keeps the water out.

mrnofear
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Keeping Dry While Kiting in Cold Weather

Post by mrnofear » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Duct Tape!!!! =-
KITES: Ozone C4 9m
KITES: North Rebel 9m & 11m
BOARDS: Nobile NHP & T5
WETSUIT: NPX Assassin
HARNESS: Naish Cartel

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:23 pm

NPX Drysuit. Warm, Dry, mmmmmmm........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

How thick is your wetsuit?
Summer I use 2mm, winter it's time to get the 5/3 out. 2mm booties and I'm good to go.
I was at OB for 3 days last weekend. I spent 5h at the beach on Saturday and I was just fine.
Some people wear gloves and hoodie.
I don't need a hoodie but I'm getting a pair of gloves for storm session this winter. Otherwise my hands hurts under the rain...
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

I also have a nice thermal fabric rashie with a neoprene hood. Makes my 4/3 plenty warm for all but the coldest of days.

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 pm

I wear one of these and love it under my 4/3 or 5/3 wetsuit! (+2mm booties as le noun said)
http://www.usoutdoor.com/xcel/xcel-poly ... rashguard/
That combo could keep me plenty warm for hours out kiting in the winter.

Also, a good fitting wetsuit is key. A loose wetsuit lets in much more water then a tight one and you get cold much sooner.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 am

Any wetsuit with a built-in hood is your friend in cold weather. It makes a huge difference for several reasons:
1. No cold water trickling down your neck
2. Keeps your head warm - remember something like 70% of your body's heat is lost through your head
3. Keeps the wind and cold water out of your ears - this is a good way to prevent the bony growth ("surfer's ear") that is accompanied by spending too much time in cold/wet environments.

From Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer's_ear

"Irritation from cold wind and water exposure causes the bone surrounding the ear canal to develop lumps of new bony growth which constrict the ear canal. The condition is so named due to its prevalence among cold water surfers. Warm water surfers are also at risk for exostosis due to the evaporative cooling caused by wind and the presence of water in the ear canal."

Kirk out

peta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peta » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 pm

I never thought much of the hoodies but actually had just gotten one last Saturday morning (because it was so cold) and used it in the afternoon. A bit a weird sensation at first when you get water spray on it and it sounds like rain on a window. The other thing was the drawstring with the plastic bit on it was rather annoying until I tucked it inside the hood. Other than that it kept me really nice and toasty warm and I am now a convert for using it on cold days. Get one that has a "double" seal, meaning one part goes inside the neck opening of the wetsuit while the other then goes over it keeping all the water nicely out (and you warm). Also a 5/3mm wetsuit or drysuit of course to keep warm. I did not have booties as my feet are always warm. =-

AD72
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AD72 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 pm

I am the opposite. My feet get to be cold numb stumps in the winter. I got some Atan boots and now they are super toasty and stylish with the camel toe.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Great stuff!

My wetsuit is, I believe, 4/3, but I'm not absolutely sure. It doesn't have the thickness listed on the tag, just the "size" (i.e., "Large"), and it's the only wetsuit I've ever owned so I have no basis for comparison. Although a different wetsuit (or drysuit) altogether would probably be ideal, I'm not up for that much of an expense right now.

Buckidge, the Xcel rashguard looks awesome. That's definitely a top contender.

There were some other interesting items mentioned, such as the hoodie with the double seal. If you could provide links to the specific products you recommend, or at least the make and model, it would be greatly appreciated!