Oahu - spots and where to rent a directional

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Going to Oahu (north shore) next week. Been to Maui many times but this will be my first time in Oahu.

What are the best spots and forecast sites?
Any point in taking a twintip with me?
Where can I rent a directional?

Mahalo!

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Oahu - spots and where to rent a directional

Post by Aloha » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:19 am

Definitely bring your twintip - it will be awesome. O'ahu is just a magical island with a friendly melting pot of people - esp in town... amazing nightlife... AND an awesome playground for enjoying the beauty of the outdoors

There are probably some folks on here who can expand on my post a bit more in depth and know the island in and out, but if the wind is on it will probably be windy throughout north shore and windward where you can find some pretty creative spots to ride including a few "secret spots" (make your own?) esp on north shore

A lot of these spots tend to be too reefy to leave a lot of fin clearance and might have you wishing you had that good old TT if you end up pulling out a surfboard fin box on a wave trough while going over

There are lots of spots, but I think the two "popular" / most consistent kite spots you might want to check out are Kailua bay for flatwater inside / reef break out and Mokuleia which is just awesome fun waveriding. If you search string kiteboard + either of those two spots you should find the info to get you there. There are some tricks to not losing your fins when riding Moks but just humbly introduce yourself, and ask the locals when you get there for tips and you will leave stoked & with new friends

Enjoy your trip & be safe I am so excited for you to be going on a new adventure hau'oli makahiki hou

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:43 am

Thank you Aloha for the tips. It sounds like Mokuleia is the place to go, based on what you wrote and what I read from others.

Does anyone know where I can rent a directional on the north shore? I usually ride strapless, so I was initially planning to just rent a surfboard, but looking at the wind and swell forecast for next week, I would prefer to have something with me with footbelts ;-)

Happy Holidays to everyone!

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:31 pm

I've had a friend recommend these guys in Kialua.
http://www.windwardwatersports.com/rentals/

$149 for the "Beach Club"
Use all equipment for one week.. Turn your bike in for a kayak for a day or a stand up paddle board, the next day grab a longboard and go for a surf.
Rentals for the week include: Paddle Boards, Kayaks, Snorkel Gear Surfboards, Boogie Boards and bikes
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Also, i'll share a secret spot b/c I saw others there having fun on a day that I figured was too light to go out. It's just on the south of Goat Island (which is awesome in itself, but not for kiting, it's just likely to be your own private island in that you have to wade chest deep water 200 yards to get there).

Might be worth the drive on a light wind day to check it out and you get lucky if you catch some wind.

See illustration on map.
On the photo you can see 2 kites in the distance.

You can find this on a map just off shore of "Malaekahana State Recreation Area"
Attachments
goat island.jpg
goat island.jpg (235.51KiB)Viewed 8989 times
IMG_5462.JPG
IMG_5462.JPG (318.72KiB)Viewed 8989 times
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Bucky that looks like a really good find

I bet there might be breaks coming off some of those points too..........

Another must try experience is a clothing optional session at polo fields. Not wiping out: highly recommended. You really don't want to be body dragging DE$#

Did I already mention O'ahu is a lot of fun? lol

XZSD XZSD XZSD

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks Buckidge. The spot you mentioned is close to where we are staying. Will definitely check it out. It looks great.

romain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by romain » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 am

Awesome information!

Looking at ikitesurf reports, it seems more 9m/12m kite in January/February rather than 7m? (much less than Maui)

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 am

A great start of the year! A lot of wind and big swell (but messy). Scored at Kailua on 1/1 and at the secret spot today. Had to self launch and land today which is not ideal at that location. Will post more about I learned regarding that spot when I get back.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 am

Great update - I'm excited to hear more about the SS - Safe travels! :]