Wind requirements for snow kiting

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi all you winter rats. Gearing up to do some snow kiting this winter. Have some basic questions.

What wind speeds are needed? More or less than on the water?
Kite sizes? I hear that one size smaller works?

Anyone been out anywhere yet this winter?

Monte

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: Wind requirements for snow kiting

Post by Yoda » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Monte-

I've found that wind speed needs to be about the same as on water to snowkite, however, the snow conditions & terrain are what dictates the kite size... at least it is for me. The deeper the snow the bigger the kite. I've sized up to a 11m in conditions I would only kite water with a 7m or smaller. The snow was knee+ deep and on the heavy (wetter) side will some hills, so the only way to get moving in that deep of snow and with the slope angle was to size up. On the other end of the spectrum, I've sized down to a 7m in wind conditions that I would need to fly a 10m or larger if I was on water because the snow was so firm.

Snowkiting on terrain and hills is much like riding in the surf, so having a slightly bigger kite will help you get over tough sections or up a hill a lot easier.
I understand the principals of altitude and it's effect on the air density causing some to size up in kite size in order to get enough power, but I find this concept only holds true on water because snow conditions and the given terrain will always be the determining factor of what kite size to fly no matter how high up you're kiting. Example: I've kited almost identical conditions, terrain and winds at two difference spots with nearly a 4K foot variance and a 20+ degree temp variance and I still used the same size kite. The conditions dictated the size I was on, not the altitude.

As for me... I'm still waiting for the coverage to get a little better in the Sierras. Stay tuned! ;-)

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Waiting anxiously for some snow!!!

Thanks Yoda.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Anyone been up to the snow yet? I'm itching to get out. Figure a day or two in the park at sugar bowl will be a good start before hitting the backcountry.
I want to do an overnight up there soon. Could make room for another body from Santa Cruz area in the Westy.
Drive up early, ride, hang out and drink beer, sleep, ride and head home.
Anyone else interested?

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:51 pm

When Monte? I might be in mid-week next week...

jzderm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jzderm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I am Headed to sierra sowkite center tomorrow morning. First time snowikiter, long time kiteboarder... Keep ya posted

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:14 am

That'd be cool - thanks for the report. It will be interesting to hear your perspective, equipment tips and technique hints on the first-time experience of going from water to snow.

Kirk out

jzderm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jzderm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Sierra snowkite was amazing. Tyler gives u a rundown of the place making it an easy transition. I will say u should strip down before pumping your kite - it takes forever at 7000ft and i got hot hot hot all geared up. I put up a 13m in 10-18mph winds. Some people had 17m! The altitude cuts the ability of the wind to pull u. They have 3ft of powder so it is great for learning and wiping out. I was tired after a 3hr session. It is much easier to body drag back to ur board on water than to crawl through powder.

Since there are not reliable wind sensors there. Just call Tyler the day before to see if there will be wind. His phone number is on the website.

Overall a very fun day and a great change of pace from my week of snowboarding at tahoe donner.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Sounds like an awesome and successful mission. Thanks for the report!

Can you elaborate on any major differences you noticed in technique between water and snow kiting? (Other than the obvious temperature differences - grin)...

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Stoked to hear you had fun!!!! CAN'T WAIT!

Kirk, pm sent. YES!