Crown Beach/Neptune point; lawsuit park district

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident
Crown Beach/Neptune point; lawsuit park district

Post by Tony Soprano » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:44 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/A ... 062884.php

Alameda's Neptune Pointe subject of suit
Last edited by Tony Soprano on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Crown Beach Lovers FYI

Post by Aloha » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:40 pm

A good example of where advocates of public recreational use / access are strong allies to the environmental considerations if everyone plays collaboratively

Neptune beach rocks

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Re: Crown Beach Lovers FYI

Post by Tony Soprano » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:38 pm

http://gsaauctions.gov/ATTACHMENT/REGNS ... %20IFB.pdf

Probally will not affect windsurfing or kiteboarding?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Crown Beach/Neptune point; lawsuit park district

Post by le noun » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Since the wind comes side-on, houses shouldn't affect us at the launch. But it will affect me not to see all that grass and goose running around.
Plus, with more people living right next to the beach and all the beginners riding there, it's just a matter of time before another big accident happens and we get denied the beach access... :roll:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Reminds me of a similar situation in Hood River years ago where the City Council tried to change the zoning along the Columbia to accommodate a Bend developer. Not that I'm against development, but we banded together and ultimately convinced the Port to donate two waterfront lots to the City, and we busted our humps to raise money and developed the public park there today. In the end, the park made the property all that much more attractive, and there are tasteful industrial buildings being built across the street to accommodate growing small industry as well as a new restaurant (in line with the Port's charter to create sustainable employment). As for residential development... with 2008 now in hindsight I imagine more naysayers are happy the developer didn't get to put 65' high condos in.

If the developer plays his cards right here he might play both sides of the fence and give a portion of the waterfront to Parks to develop and manage...

Though looking at this area on Google Maps it seems it's already developed with housing (are we talking about the area bounded by McKay Ave and Crown Drive?). Am I missing something? Does anyone actually launch from that point/peninsula? Looks like it'd be surrounded by dirty wind on the way out and back.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm pretty sure they're referring to Neptune as the area also known as Crab Cove just NW of the shack launch. It is currently a parks / historical pavilion & picnic area but I think with the plan it would put housing in all that waterfront space. The area upwind of the launch that you pass by as you drive in

Can anyone confirm? I am interested to learn a bit more about this as well

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm

if you drive down central ave hang a left next to foster freez that is mckay ave
i think the land is the parks dept maintenance area and the fed office buldings.
just west of that is a condo city

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=37 ... &tab=ilive tryed to post a picture but im duMb.

alamedaptenviro
Joey
Joey

Post by alamedaptenviro » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:15 am

For the latest news and opinions about the Neptune Beach Project (formerly called Neptune Pointe), visit the Friends of Crown Beach website. http://friendsofcrownbeach.com/

While not directly effecting kiteboarding at Crown Beach, kiteboarders who love Crown Beach should support the park district's effort to secure the Neptune - McKay Ave property.

Voters approved money to acquire the property in 2008, and now the GSA (Government Services Administration) is ignoring their own rules about first offering surplus land to other government agencies. The GSA is standing with the developer that has an option (won during a GSA auction) to purchase the parcel, and has been given repeated extensions for closing until easements are secured for state-owned McKay Ave.

Latest rumblings are that the GSA will sue the state in order to add utility easement rights to the deed. Currently the property utility easement rights end when it leaves federal hands. The state parks dept has written to the developer and the city of Alameda explicitly saying they will not grant an easement for private development under a state park street. The drama continues....