New Snowkite Video...Feedback Please!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knewschool
Joey
Joey

Post by knewschool » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 am

Here's a short video I just put together from the Bighorns here in Wyoming, USA. It was this last weekend. It’s a 3 minute Vimeo movie. I'll get some jibbing in the next videos with more snow. I'd really appreciate any leads on good music for videos...

We weren't sure if there'd even be snow because everyone was backing out of the weekend. Wayne and Pascal texted at 11pm Friday night before for a 5am start Saturday. I was digging my snowkiting crap out of the closet until 3 am.

We hit the road to get a beautiful sunset session. The funny part is how EPIC kiting can make 0-8" of snow. We knew the last storm blew N and NW so we had hopes for some wind loading on the SSE slope. Ultimately I like to think that it wasn’t pure luck and there was some calculation somewhere.

We used a Canon 60d DSLR camera and a GoPro2 for all the shots. I shot in 720 at 60fps even though vimeo uses 30fps. I’ve been practicing this summer and was really excited to test things out on the snow.

Anyways, I hope you like it and I hope they just get better from here. I’d appreciate a little feedback as well.

https://vimeo.com/53989949[/video]

Cheers! -Will Taggart

Sierra Snowkite
Joey
Joey

Re: New Snowkite Video...Feedback Please!

Post by Sierra Snowkite » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

The vid is awesome! I really like you smooth narrative approach in the last 2 videos. Keep the good stuff coming.

Tyler
Sierra Snowkite Center
at Sugar Bowl and Royal Gorge Ski Areas
www.sierrasnowkite.com
info@sierrasnowkite.com

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Got that Warren Miller feel to it.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

drroc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by drroc » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Cool vid. Not sure I would trus my kite/lines to hang me so high above solid ground though....

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 pm

"Snow quality is just a state of mind." Haha, try telling that to my poor snowboard base after an early season Boreal trip.

Loved the video though, great editing and so many beautiful shots in there. I'd agree that trusting your lines and non-paragliding setup at that height is crazy.

¡Cajones grande!

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm gonna guess that you guys are paragliders that took up kiting. I see from the video that you use both SLE kites and paragliding kites. I think you can only use paragliding kites in thermals when there is little to no wind, so you must stay busy being able to do both. How come you use skis instead of snowboards, is that a personal preference or is that something to do with paragliding?

Which is more fun for you, paragliding or kiting?

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 pm

I have GOT to do some of that this winter!!!

knewschool
Joey
Joey

Post by knewschool » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's a little Warren Miller'ish, I agree. I don't really want to go for that necessarily, but I also want to ad a little adventure to the vid so there's entertainment value beyond the kiting itself.

Wayne and Pascal are Paragliders gon kiters, but I'm a kiter learning to Paraglide. I still prefer the kite. I really like the rigid fast wing while flying, and the fun of riding along behind a kite is just self explanatory.

I actually only ski for ease of access while filming. Stopping, starting and carrying gear is way easier on skiis. I'm actually a snowboarder. I hope to get you guys a nice film with some creative jibbing this year when we get some more snow.

As far as flying under those 4 thin lines, I agree it does seem questionable. We all keep our gear newish, and the kite I fly on has only been on snow. I inspect it regularly and know I'm taking a bit of a risk. However, since learing to Paraglide, I'm still more nervous of the inherent dangers of Paragliding. Perhaps because the internet is swamped with scarry paragliding accidents, where you can barely find video's of kiters dropping out of the sky. I can tell you this, Ozone does not approve of the flying on their kites. But like all new adventure sports, someone is bound to take risks to push the sport.

Cheers!