no wind... so BORED?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: no wind... so BORED?

Post by behindThePeak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 am

how exactly do you re-enforce the deck? guessing you add glass yea? what amount have you found works best?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 pm

behindThePeak wrote:how exactly do you re-enforce the deck? guessing you add glass yea? what amount have you found works best?
I like a 5.6 oz carbon/kevlar weave sandwiched between (2) 4 oz S-glass under my feet and brought out to cover (1/2 wrap) the rails (under foot) thats adding another 12 oz to the foot bed area (deck over rail)

I laminate VERY TIGHT using plastic wrap to add ("poor mans") vacuum- I learned this simple repair method from Jimmy Lewis (2002).

I'd like to add that Jimmy Lewis makes the nicest kite/surf boards I've ever ridden :-)
Order a CUSTOM from Jimmy and you WILL BE STOKED!!

Have FUN!!! L.M.G.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

no wind... so BORED?

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:55 am

Just to clarify Greg, did you blow out a kite model FW or a surf model? I've beat the shizle out of my hellfire kite model. No damage yet. I could see breaking a surf model though. They have a different glassing schedule. Much lighter than kite models.

Surfboards work fine but will not last as long unless you glass the hell out of them. Then they a pretty much kite boards.

A for reinforcing the deck of a surf model board, I sand most of the hot coat off the deck, laminated another layer of 6 oz glass on then hot coat and sand. Adds very little weight and is totally invisible. I'm riding a FW 602 surf model right now and so far no heel dents or other damage. Much lighter than my hellfire 506 kite model!!! We'll see how it does this winter.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am

The jimmy lewis i have(not a custom) did not crack or break but the foam inside desinagrated. Crappy foam, when i cut the top off board the foam fell out like cottage cheese, it looked like the foam they make those 711 ice chests with. {}[]
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 am

kingfisher wrote:I know that Firewire had only 2 models in one size (6'-2")for $350, and one of them is sold out. This was about two weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the other model is also sold out at that price. CC%%
Yes I heard about that deal. Gerrit had some at live2kite but I missed out... turns out my old maN bought the last one off G and gave it to me as a b-day gift last night! Stoked ^^

FireWire is so hot right now.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

floater
Contributor
Contributor

Post by floater » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:15 pm

The newer version Firewires are sweet! Super carvey....
C'mon clearing winds or any wind right now. Happy Birthday!!!

Sierra Snowkite
Joey
Joey

Post by Sierra Snowkite » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am

NO Wind???

Take your kiting to the snow. The Sierra Snowkite Center at Sugar Bowl Resort offers 250 acres of snowkiting terrain. Come join in the fun!

www.sierrasnowkite.com

info@sierrasnowkite.com
Sierra Snowkite Center
at Sugar Bowl and Royal Gorge Ski Areas
www.sierrasnowkite.com
info@sierrasnowkite.com

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 am

Sierra Snowkite wrote:NO Wind???

Take your kiting to the snow. The Sierra Snowkite Center at Sugar Bowl Resort offers 250 acres of snowkiting terrain. Come join in the fun!

http://www.sierrasnowkite.com

info@sierrasnowkite.com
what sources can we use to find out if there's wind (and enough snow) out there to come visit you?
3.30hr away. I can make a few days out of this!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:09 am

etxxz wrote:what sources can we use to find out if there's wind (and enough snow) out there to come visit you?
3.30hr away. I can make a few days out of this!
Go here for weather...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 2=-120.355
Use Sugar Bowl's "base conditions" for a rough idea of the snow conditions at Lake Van Norden...
http://www.sugarbowl.com/conditions

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:21 am

sweet dude tx!