New kiter needs buddy @ Sherman

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
glue
Joey
Joey
New kiter needs buddy @ Sherman

Post by glue » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:56 am

New to kiting, I can safely launch, land, relaunch my kite. need a buddy to go with though. i do not feel comfortable going alone. I live in SF have car and all my gear. looking to go to Sherman this saturday aug 13th.

Bob

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:22 am

can you go upwind?

regardless.. i'm in SF and i'm down to carpool at the least.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:57 pm

This is my first season kiting and I went to SI for the first time this past weekend and oh-my-god what a fantastic place to ride. Going upwind and huge air is completely effortless. Kiting at Alameda up till this point I didn't realize how much fun boosting huge airs could be. I also realized for the first time the fundamental difference between a 17m and a 12m. I decided to go by myself and I noticed that while some people are completely unwilling to help (even to walk you down to the beach), most are extremely helpful and incredibly friendly so no problem going alone. Just ask someone to walk you.

KeenanD
Joey
Joey

Post by KeenanD » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:30 pm

I have taken lessons over at Alameda (not much wind every time) and plan to buy some gear this week and head to Sherman Island this weekend. It's supposed to be the next step in kiting, plus you most likely will have wind. Someone told me that you can get in a boat for $10.00 and it takes you two miles upwind. Anybody here know how that works? when the boats leave? or who to contact about the boats?
Thanks.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:11 pm

I don't think it's quite that easy, but I'm not sure. The person who told you that may have been talking in a general sense, like "Oh, if you give someone ten bucks, they'll probably take you upwind." If this is your first time kiting at Sherman, you do not want to have someone in a boat drop you off upwind from the beach and take off. And I don't think anyone's going to babysit you (which is exactly what they are doing) for ten bucks while you get teabagged down the river (which is most likely what you wil be doing).

There is a guy who does downwinders with a boat (The Edge Kiteboarding School), but I'm not sure how much it costs and if he'll take you without seeing you kite first (i.e., having already given you a lesson). I think there is a link to his site from this site. Check him out and give him a call before going.

If you're not going upwind in a boat, you're not ready for Sherman Island yet. Not unless you're taking a lesson. It's a dangerous place to launch and land, and the wind is likely to be much stronger than what you encountered at Alameda. Read the description on this site about the hazards and risks there.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 pm

I guess there were two people asking questions. "Glue" is right about needing a buddy, but I would add that the buddy should be someone who's taken a lesson or two at Sherman, as well. If you are still not able to go upwind, you will have to land downwind, which has been accurately described as "Rocks, powerlines, boats. windsurfers, blackberry bushes, gas pipelines, docks, barbed wire, and ashalt roads." You need to scout out the downwind launch sites really well (there are only two or three marginally "safe" spots, talk to people about them, and have a good plan.

Two weeks ago, a beginner was landing downwind with a buddy who had about 1 year of experience at Sherman. He got jacked by his kite three times, like a bouncing ball, up, down, up, down, before he slammed into a barbed wire fence and stopped. He got 66 stitches in his head, and the doctors said it was a miracle he hadn't died.

Be careful.