Anyone been to Aruba?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
adamrod
Old School
Old School
Re: Anyone been to Aruba?

Post by adamrod » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:46 am

Gonna try and get the wifey hooked on kiting:-)

ha ha, I was wondering when we'd see your wife at the beach!!
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

She's not too excited about kiting in the "cold" bay. And let's just say the whole 3rd ave mud thing is a definite turn off for her. So my plan is to take her somewhere warm and nice and get her hooked then introduce her to beautiful 3rd ave. =D>

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re:

Post by OliverG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:32 pm

thelaserman wrote:I have been to Aruba it's great. You can sta at the resorts or stay in the downtown near the port. If you are on a budget head to Bonaire Or curaçao instead. Both are cheaper and only 10 miles away and get the same
Wind but are less cimmerical

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone
Is it true? Seems like I've been looking at all the caribbean readings on ikite for a while and Aruba always seems to be the windiest, windier than to two neighboring islands, which surely must be farther away than that, on the map it sure looks like it anyway...

xtremewinds
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by xtremewinds » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:34 am

[quote="Fassn8"]I'm also considering a trip to Aruba this year. I'll be traveling with my wife and 2 year old daughter. Gonna try and get the wifey hooked on kiting:-)

Do you want to hook your wife in kiteboarding contact Helena to www.xtremewinds.com

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:57 pm

anyone have an info on cost of Aruba vs. Maui?

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 am

Any family friendly accommodation suggestions for Aruba? Thinking about going there for New Years with the family. I would like to find a nice hotel that can make the family happy but at the same time I can kite from or very close to. Thanks.

buckler12m
Contributor
Contributor

Post by buckler12m » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:58 am

If you are still looking for options for a hotel and are not into the whole All-Inclusive deal, but would prefer something a little more relaxed, I would highly recommend the Amsterdam Manor Hotel.The Amsterdam Manor is set no more than a quarter mile down the beach from the main strip, but is much more relaxing and less busy from a tourism standpoint.

I also used Xtreme Winds as recommended above and got lessons from Fernando Dulce, who was really helpful when I was still learning how to ride upwind.

There is no doubt the water is unbelievably beautiful, I saw a few flying fish while kiting and I'll never forget it.

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I went to Aruba in August. Boca is great although 7-10 people in the bay and its kind of maxed out. Narrow area between beach and outside reef for kiting. Wind is nice and consistent at Boca (although Boca is 45 min drive from main tourist hotels). Fisherman's Hut is not all that its cracked up to be either. Gusty offshore winds make it hard for a beginner. I took my wife with goal of getting her hooked for next season here in the Bay. Those are the two spots you can go without a boat/trip access. I'd say skip Aruba and go to DR, La Ventana or Maui. Nothing against Aruba but I think there are better places for same money from my experience.

windrider99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windrider99 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I learned how to kite in Aruba at Fishermans Huts. I thought it was a good beginner area because the water is flat. But the wind is offshore so until you can stay upwind you will need assistance from the boats to get back to the beach. I think DR is too choppy for beginners, i've seen a lot of beginners struggling there...

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Spent two weeks in Aruba and can honestly say, I have no desire to ever go back. Certainly not for kiting. The huts are very over rated with offshore wind. Boca is nice, but like someone said above, get's very crowded quickly.

As for the general area, there's just not a whole lot there. Very limited in terms of "tropical or Caribbean culture". It's definitely a big tourist destination for people from Boston and NYC looking to go on a warmer vacation.

Not saying it's bad. Just saying I would not recommend it to anyone. and definitely not for a kiting vacation. There are far better places.