Say it ain't so...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Say it ain't so...

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:57 pm

I heard Curt got the blackberry treatment. You okay, bruddah?

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Which Curt?

Michelle's kite caddy?

:yawinkle:

I hope not...

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:38 pm

Yeah, that Curt. He was launching by the water at low tide. He hit a log on the beach before going through and then over the blackberries. It was a bloody mess, but probably nothing broken.

Freaked everyone out, that's for sure. And I mean everyone -- there were lots of people on the beach when it happened.

Lesson learned: If you are launching the kite -- wait for the thumbs up signal only, no other hand signs. And if you are being launched, don't use your hands to communicate other things, such as "Wait one minute while I get this line untangled, etc."

And everyone else, just chill. Lauching is the most likely time for preventable accidents, and stressers with bad attitude do not help the situation. That very same day, I was setting up lines with three other guys at the same time. Two people came in to land, and one of the launching guys was storming around telling people to hurry up and get a move on. The guy who launched me did not wait for me to check my lines or give me the sign, he just tossed my kite and turned around. I hadn't even pulled my sheet strap in yet.

No one should be hurrying when doing any of the following: Setting out lines, tying on lines, checking their lines, clipping in, or launching someone else's kite. The time to hurry is after you land your kite: Get it out of the launch area and get your lines rolled up quick.

If you can't deal with waiting, find someplace other than Sherman Island to kite on the weekends. Or better yet, find another sport, so you don't get someone killed.

Paul

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:22 pm

Curt!

Hope your OK there!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:44 am

any followup on this? I saw the kite looping from the parking lot and heard people screaming... it'd be nice to know that he's okay.

b.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:27 am

Curt's OK. A sprained ankle and miscellaneous cuts and scratches, but word is he'll be back on the water soon.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:30 pm

=D>