Oahu/Maui November

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Oahu/Maui November

Post by buckidge » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 am

I'm heading to Oahu and Maui the last two weeks of November. =- =- =-

few things I'm looking for advice on (1) accomodations. (2) surfboard (3) wetsuit

(1) In Maui, I'm going to be travelling alone, will be seeking out a social crowd, so am likely to stay at a hostel. Anyone been to Banana Bungalow (looks like a party crowd) or Rainbow Hostel (more sleepy)? What are your impressions of them for a kite trip.

Also, if anyone else is going to be there over the week of Thanksgiving, let me know. I'll launch your kite for you and maybe share a few SS$$ SS$$

(2) if anyone has advice on where to rent/borrow a surfboard (straps preferred as I've yet to try stapless in waves) at a bargain price, I'm all ears. I'm also open to the idea of buying one there on craigslist as alaska air only charges $50 for surfboard shipping while Delta on the flight out charges $150.

(3) in searching the web, the idea of a wetsuit that time of year seems up in the air, with many suggesting a shorty might be nice. Anyone care to agree/disagree? I'd rather not buy one of I'm going to show up, look like a kook, and be too warm.

thanks for your help
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Oahu/Maui November

Post by kitenaked » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:18 am

Shorty at the most...
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 am

kitenaked wrote:Shorty at the most...
Another option might be a neoprene base layer under boardshorts / rashguard. I just came back from Israel and couldn't get a definitive answer on a wetsuit but didn't want to take one, so I took the Neil Pryde "wind skin" base layer that I use under my steamer for springtime in Oregon. My Israeli friends were telling me I'd need at least a shorty, but then again they think 70 degrees is "cold." For the one northerly day I caught the base layer just made for added safety/comfort; I didn't need it but was glad to have it.

benoit
Joey
Joey

Post by benoit » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm just coming back from oahu yesterday, I took my wetsuit because i didn't know if i need it or not => The wetsuit stayed in the bag, I only need my board short :) . I don't know how it will be in 2 or 3 weeks but i suppose a neopren top will be enough.

For the bags, i took my boardbag (135cm, i don't know in inch) . To go, I pre-paid the bag (100$ one way with hawaiian airlines ?' ) but when i checked in it the girl asked me if it was a golf bag... so for the return i didn't pre-paid, did the silly boy ( I'm french maybe that's help) when the girl asked me what was in the bag, never pronounced the word board and only paid 25$.

That's the informationz i could give you.
Sorry if my english isn't very good.
Have a good trip.