Boardbag blues

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Boardbag blues

Post by Tunces » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:29 am

Here is a link to airline boardbag fees for those of you planning to find some wind this winter...:

http://www.surfline.com/travel/boardbag ... m?id=15425
Tunces - The driving cat!

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Boardbag blues

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Got myself a "Golf Bag" that's worked 5 out of the 6 (one way) times. Only time I've been stopped was Maui Airport coming back with Hawaiian Air. Otherwise, SJC going out, SFO going out seem pretty chill.

Trick is to use curb side check in, in Honolulu if you use curb side they don't even weigh your bag. The tip (I'm usually pretty generous here) more than makes up for the $$$ you'd spend if they ask too many questions.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Boardbag blues

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Just flew in to Los Barilles on Alaska. Only paid $20 for my boardbag with 2 surfboards and a twin tip plus wetsuits etc.
They asked what it was and all I said was 'kite gear'.
Never mentioned the word board or surf.
Got lucky I guess.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Hockey bags seem to be working...

Airline employees are like cops. Most of them are DICKS! but now and then they are cool and let that shit slide.... but most are DICKS!

Did I say most cops are DICKS!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Virgin America for the win

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 am

Have always used a snowboard bag and two kites packed into one kite bag when going to Padre. Never paid a fee once, including a time when I was asked what it was and I said "a snowboard". Nowadays, though, with bag fees and needing to bring clothes (including often business/suit) I picked up a Naish Golf Bag (in the overly-conspicuous yellow). I packed it to 43 lbs and flew to Tel Aviv, no problems, but on return I was asked when checking it "what is it?". I said "golf bag", which I guess technically is not a lie since they didn't ask me what's inside.

From what I've seen, the main trick is not to make it too cumbersome by over-packing/over-weighting it. I went to Padre with a whole bunch of kiters with 'golf' bags once, and only one or two had to open or pay fees due to size & weight. Coincidentally we flew in with a collegiate golf team so the baggage folks already had their hands full...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:58 am

NCKite_Ryder wrote:Hockey bags seem to be working...

Airline employees are like cops. Most of them are DICKS! but now and then they are cool and let that shit slide.... but most are DICKS!

Did I say most cops are DICKS!
(at gun point) Son- your not from around these parts are you??? So what are you hiding in these bags?? Can I open them??? Now I'm going to Take out your wallet and remove your Lic & Registration, you just STAY DOWN and RELAX... keep your hands on your head if you don't want to get hurt-
Sooooo,.. I see your flying Cabrina- You boyz don't realize this is SlingShot Country... (the Kite Patrol) %$

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:20 am

BTW: I've got 4 travel bags for sale: 2 golf (kitebags for T.T. & kites) , two surf (ones good for EVERYTHING up to 6'3", the other a 7'6" bag without wheels...

well traveled and worn, __
L.M.G. (510) 882-9389

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:49 am

Greg wrote:(at gun point) ...
Sooooo,.. I see your flying Cabrina- You boyz don't realize this is SlingShot Country... (the Kite Patrol) %$
Ah, I see you've been to Oregon before.